You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TJS

Wednesday, May 20th 2015, 5:09pm

Plow through gravel driveway?

I have a newly construction house. I have to either separate the valve locations, (front and back yard) or go under the driveway with 4 runs.
Having two control valve locations looks like the easier way out, unless I can plow through the driveway.
My driveway isn't poured yet so I have a few feet (depth) of large #3 stone, topped with 6" traffic bond.
My question is: Can a vibratory plow cut and pull through compacted #3 stone (#3 stone is larger than a golf ball size) for 18 feet or am I asking for trouble?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 21st 2015, 7:16am

Leave the driveway alone. Go the long way around.

TJS

Friday, May 22nd 2015, 7:51am

Leave the driveway alone. Go the long way around.

Yeah, I guess. It's just an extra 250' X 4 runs then. Not to mention the meandering I'll have to do to stay away from other lines.
With all of the rock I have in the soil, I was hoping for an easy way out. I could trench 6" deep in the driveway by hand, but that's work too and I would worry about concrete cracks after I monkey with the base prior to pour.
Looks like I'll spend some quality time with the plow! ;(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 22nd 2015, 8:53am

You can always hire an underground boring service to fit a sleeve under the driveway.

Or a time machine so you could install that sleeve yourself, before any of the driveway work began. :D

You can save the expense of a couple of rolls of pipe if you designed the system with a mainline and a master valve.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (May 22nd 2015, 10:36am)