You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JC61

Thursday, May 14th 2015, 6:10am

zone not working

one zone on our sprinkler systems is not working - I am pretty sure there are 2 zones coming out of the same valve and solenoid - one works, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't is furthest away on that zone. Everything seems to be fine and did most of the diagnostics mentioned on various pages here, but won't say I did them all correctly as I'm a novice. I can hear water pulsating at the valve - like it's trying to work. I am starting to believe either the valve is bad or there may be a crack in piping that does not allow water pressure to build all the way to that zone. Appreciate any advice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 14th 2015, 7:25am

Operate the valve manually, without using the controller, and report the result.

JC61

Thursday, May 14th 2015, 7:30am

when I turn the valve manually it pulses but sprinklers do not pop up. I'm assuming the first zone on this valve will be the only one that works manually and that is the one not working via the controller - i.e. zone 6 not working but zone 7 works through the controllers but neither work when trying manually.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 14th 2015, 8:18am

If you can't get a valve to open fully when you operate it manually (not using the controller) then you need to repair the valve.

JC61

Thursday, May 14th 2015, 8:58am

thanks for the help - just to be sure I can hear water moving in the valve when turning manually but the sprinkler heads do not rise. Is it a correct assumption that the first zone on that valve will be the only one that works when manually opening?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 14th 2015, 9:05am

If the valve is opening fully, then you look at the zone for a broken head or pipe.

JC61

Friday, May 15th 2015, 11:34am

appreciate the advice thus far; after rechecking there may be a wiring issue. My system has 7 zones and 3 valves - so there are multiple zones on each valve. When looking in the valve box there is only one wire running to the solenoid - makes me think the wires to the controller are spliced somewhere and it could have weakened over time. Does this make sense and would it matter which wires in the bundle are connected to the controller?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 15th 2015, 12:53pm

maybe share with us your definition for the word 'zone'
less confusion might result if correct terminology is employed

JC61

Friday, May 15th 2015, 2:22pm

there are 7 colored wires in the controller - I am assuming these are zones that control sprinklers as follows; 1 in front, 1 in shrubs, one just behind the house, one on the right side, one on the left by the drive way, one at the far end of the property (the one that isn't working) and one between the far end and just behind the house. We are the 3rd owner and this is how it was set up. I can only assume which sprinkler zones go to which valve based on how the lines are laid out and what seems to work through the troubleshooting of the system.

When looking at the valve box there are 3 valves, each solenoid is connected together to the common and each have only one colored wire. They have all been working up to this spring. I did have to replace the controller and one of the solenoids last year but they worked up until now. if there is another valve box I haven't found it and everything seems to indicate this is the only one.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 16th 2015, 1:14am

there are 4 more zone valves for you to find