You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

beached

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 1:18pm

New-to-me sprinkler system will not fire up

Looking for some troubleshooting tips for an old Toro Vision II controller. I've tried a couple things and read the manual, but no luck getting the controller to kick on the pump.
The sprinkler system was not used by the previous owner of my home, but we did test it good once when I bought the home last Summer - a service guy had to come out to prime the pump and get the system to work. I've just tried firing it up this season and not able to get it to kick on in either automatic/scheduled or in manual mode. The well pump works fine - it just does not come on when I turn any zone over to manual.

I've tried twisting the zone knobs to manual, and have tried setting them in the middle and then pushing the manual operation button. I've inspected the fuses, replaced the 1.5A just in case, have tried unplugging it, and killing power to the breaker. It keeps its day/time but I don't see a battery to try pulling.

Thank you for any help!

beached

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 6th 2015, 1:35pm

I have tested with a multimeter. Voltage between common and any zone shows .5V regardless if the zone is on or off. Resistance between common and any zone while off reads 1. Per the Vision II Plus manual, I have also tried jumping a zone straight to the hot post, and have also tried touching the common wire and a zone wire to a 9V battery without luck.

I'm no electrician, so it's possible I'm still not doing something right. The solenoids and valves all appear to be in my crawlspace in a tough spot that I have not been able to get to yet for further inspection.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 7th 2015, 6:20am

If you aren't measuring a solenoid resistance of something in the range of 20 to 60 ohms, then you may not have continuity.

beached

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 10:12am

Thanks Wet Boots. I suppose it's also possible my multimeter is not working properly.

I came home one day shortly after starting this thread and the sprinkler was working... It worked for a good two weeks until recently. I put it on rain delay at least once during that period, then again a few days ago. It has not worked since that second time that I had it on rain delay. By not working, I mean it is not turning on the pump in either automatic/scheduled or manual mode. I'm still getting an ohm reading of simply 1 and a volt reading of -0.24 regardless of off/on. I've left it unplugged overnight as an extra troubleshooting step.

Could this be an indicator of something going bad, or should I try getting another multimeter to test further? If you think it might be sporadic continuity, would you recommend checking and/or running a new line to the valve assembly or to the pump?

Much appreciated!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 4:11pm

You may have to redo every wire connection if want to rule out an intermittent. You need to be able to see the good continuity on a resistance test.

Rate this thread