You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sdgardener

Wednesday, November 5th 2014, 9:52am

Thanks Wet Boots! Which inline sprinkler valve do you recommend?

I heard that some breakers occasionally eject some water, do you know a good spill-resistant pressure vacuum breaker?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, November 6th 2014, 6:39am

You seem to be intent on fixing something that isn't broken. Can you elaborate on just why? The spilled water is not a health hazard, and you probably haven't yet tried lowering the zone pressures with the flow controls on the zone valves, which would reduce any spilling.

mrfixit

Friday, November 7th 2014, 1:56am

You seem to be intent on fixing something that isn't broken. Can you elaborate on just why? The spilled water is not a health hazard.

I was wondering that myself.

I was also wondering how it gushes for 5 seconds being 20 inches above the highest head. I'm questioning that.

The valves aren't jar tops are they? If so get rid of them.

sdgardener

Sunday, November 9th 2014, 6:49pm

It gushes water for a few seconds and then stops. The valves are Rain Bird 100-ASVF, not jar tops. Jar tops were discontinuned by Rain Bird.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Nov 10th 2014, 6:03am)

sdgardener

Sunday, November 9th 2014, 7:06pm

Wet Boots,

About 2/3 of my garage's concrete floor is damaged because of underground moisture. The valve boxes are next to my garage. We belive that the source of the moisture come from the leaking valves. That's why I replaced all of them. That's also why I want the new valves to be completely dry.

I tried lowering the zone pressures with the flow controls on the zone valves. It worked! None of the 5 valves gushed water.

I then tried to put one spring-loaded sprinkler head back in zone 3 because it looks better than the regualr head. The zone 3 valve started gushing water again. I put the regular head back, the valve still gushes water. It seems that the valve remembers the backflow and does not want to let it go. Any ideas?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 10th 2014, 5:27am

Bank the soil near the valves so water flows away. With the heavy clay soils near the California coast, you can get effective results from this simple trick.

Also. in general, a lot of tract housing in Socal has rotten drainage to go with the heavy soils. If you have any drain lines in your yard, you might try to add an extension to drain the soil near the valves.

And by the way, do any of the downstream pipes in the zones run so that they are uphill of the valves?

mrfixit

Monday, November 10th 2014, 6:04am

It gushes water for a few seconds and then stops. The valves are Rain Bird 100-ASVF, not jar tops. Jar tops were discontinuned by Rain Bird.

Jar Tops

sdgardener

Monday, November 10th 2014, 10:01am

How do you bank the soil near the valves?

It's very difficult to repair rotten drainage or add new drainage because my entire front yard and back yard are covered by concrete.

Zone 2 and the valve box ground are at the same level. Zone 1 and 3 are on a flower bed which is 1 foot higher than the valve box ground. Zone 5 is on top of the slope which is little bit higher than valve box ground. Zone 4 is at the bottom of the slope. Only zone 4 still have 4 spring-loaded sprinkler heads. Because they are at the bottom of the slope, the valve in zone 4 never gushes water.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "sdgardener" (Nov 10th 2014, 11:36pm)

mrfixit

Monday, November 10th 2014, 4:26pm

How come your original post stated that the valves are 20 inches higher than the highest head and now all of a sudden zone 5, the problem zone is up on a slope higher than the valves?
You're either intentionally wasting our time or you're confused.
There's nothing wrong with zone 5, it's doing it's job draining. The problem is the valves are installed improperly.
I'm sure Boots will be happy to know he wasted his time as well.

sdgardener

Monday, November 10th 2014, 5:43pm

Sorry for the confusion, my bad! I just changed the word"valves" to "valve box ground" in my previous posting.

The tip of all 5 valves are 40 inches above the ground which are about 20 inches higher than the highest sprinkler head in these 5 zones. I wish I could post a picture of the valves. Does your site allow that?

Wet Boots has been very helpful and professional. I really appreciate it!

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "sdgardener" (Nov 10th 2014, 11:36pm)

Rate this thread