You are not logged in.

jusme

Monday, August 20th 2007, 3:28pm

Threaded Copper to PVC

I searched the forums (and the rest of the Internet) pretty thoroughly and I still can't find an answer to my specific question. I had the plumber over last week to replace my PRV and while they were there I had them put on a tee with a ball valve and then a capped nipple for future irrigation provisions. The mainline in question is 1" copper.

I want to start using PVC right at the capped connection, but my problem is the copper to PVC union. I really don't want to start sweating copper pipe, so any solution that doesn't involve that is highly preferred. I don't have the expertise or the equipment to do so. I've seen other people say you can use a "no-hub" coupler between two dissimilar materials, but I can't find a whole lot of information about them. Do they also go by a different name? I've heard that it's a really bad idea to mate female PVC with male copper because of the damage to the PVC, so I'm going to stay away from that. I guess my problem really is that the plumbers left me with a male copper connection (capped, as I mentioned) instead of a female connection. Do these "no-hub" (or similar) couplers work well even if one side of the connection is threaded? I'm assuming they're meant to be used for a slip connection...but maybe not. Does anyone know? Or know of another way to make the coupling without sweating copper or calling the plumber again?

mrfixit

Monday, August 20th 2007, 6:15pm

I don't do much with copper at all. I do know about the problem with female couplings though. I avoid that whenever possible. I'll use a threaded coupling then a pvc male adapter. I also know about electrolysis. You shouldn't connect galvanized directly to copper. I was wondering if a brass threaded coupling would be ok. Brass and copper are very similar. Look at this chart.
http://www.assda.asn.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=18533
There's my two cents.
-
I realized about 30 seconds after posting this that duh, of course copper and brass go together. You see it all the time. Pressure regulators, gate valves, ect..
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

jusme

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 12:40am

I think I'm going to head down to the local plumbing supply later this week and see what I can conjure up. If I read your post right then you're saying I go male threaded copper -> female threaded brass -> male threaded PVC. In that case I'll have to see if they make a male/copper -> female/brass adapter. Or even maybe just male/copper -> female/copper.

Lakeside

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 2:27am

The key is to make sure you thread it right the first time. It's very easy to have the male copper mis-thread into the PVC.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, 2:51am

Buy a threaded brass coupling, and use that. Or use a threaded brass ball valve.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, August 27th 2007, 5:06am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wet_Boots</i>
<br />Buy a threaded brass coupling, and use that. Or use a threaded brass ball valve.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Love that suggestion! Gives you both a shutoff and male-to-female conversion in one step.

jusme

Tuesday, August 28th 2007, 4:04am

I'm going to consider this thread closed. Thanks guys very much for your feedback!

Rate this thread