You are not logged in.

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 2:59am

sprinkler calculations

i have a large lawn area with 16 Hunter PGJ heads turning from 1/4 to full circle. present installation has 1 inch irrigation tubing with "saddle clamps" and 1/2 inch openings to short sections of rubber tubing supplying the Hunter rotors. i need to rebuild the system to increase the water to the sprinkler heads. i want to do this by removing all the 1/2 inch saddle clamps and using 1 inch "T" fittings with the sprinkler heads on stem of the T. Source of my water is a deep well pump supplying 70 gallons per minute at 60 pounds per square inch. how do i determine whether the existing 1 inch supply line will give me enough water to run all 16 heads? A second question is how do relate the Hunter Nozzle Performance data to the little numbers on the nozzles. i have a number 9 on the nozzle. how do that relate to the o.75, 1.0, etc on the chart?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 6:02am

They don't relate...read the chart across...the #9 puts out 5.2 gallons at 50psi

In my opinion you would be better off splitting into separate zones if you can....16 heads even with number 1 nozzles will be pushing it..saddles or no saddles...1 inch poly is going to struggle. The water source is important, but you are limited by the 1 inch poly....

What are the spacings? How far apart are the heads?

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 10:41am

to sprinkler guy.. thank you very much i will measure and respond to your question on spacing

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 5:58am

70 gpm! are you sure? IS this a well used for farming? one inch poly should not get more than 18 gpm. It has to do with velocity. So If your numbers are correct I would change your main lines to 1.5 inch and laterals should be 1 inch.
Thanks,

Pete

Friday, July 20th 2007, 1:37pm

well is one of two high volume wells certified for public water use in a recreational park. the 16 heads are patterned about 18 feet apart over the area. this is one zone of 6 zones.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, July 23rd 2007, 3:33am

Have we answered your questions?
Thanks,

Pete

Monday, July 23rd 2007, 5:57am

yes thank you for this very helpful forum. do not leave town. i am sure another problem is coming soon. sigh..

Rate this thread