You are not logged in.

rkokoski

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 9:47am

Valves to Poly Connect Question

I am installing a new sprinkler system as a DIY. I've been reading about (as well as studying and asking questions) for months now so I'm going to give it a try. I live in the Maryland area and the gist of what I hear is:

1. Use Poly piping vs. PVC because of the cold weather
2. Use 1'' vs. 3/4'' with 48psi at 8gpm since I have to 300ft runs and want want to add additional friction
3. Use funny pipe & barb connections to hook up heads (Rainbird 5004)

So here are my remaining questions

1. What is the best way to hook up poly ends to my valves? I am thinking threaded poly ends to a female thread valve. Correct?
2. What is the MAX length I should have for a funny pipe hookup to a head? Most will be 1ft or so but I have some I could really use 5-7 ft for flexiblity
3. Can I take a lateral line running a zone and split it up? i.e. 5ft, T it with 2 heads (4 heads total) to each T run or should I keep it all a single line?

Thanks!

Richard K
rkokoski@foxdentechllc.com

Richard Kokoski

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 27th 2006, 1:50am

1: Yes...or Female x Poly adapter and a male threaded valve...or a valve with male poly barb...

2: I will get shot for this, but during repairs I have been known to go over 10' with poly. When I perform a new installation I keep it to 1-2 feet or max of 5 feet...not because of any design issues, just because I can get the lateral lines within 5 feet usually. I don't think it hurts to have 10 feet of poly....just me.

3: Yes
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread