You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mooch91

Sunday, May 5th 2019, 3:37pm

Replacing rotors - options for improved performance

All,

I have a 10-year-old system using Hunter PRS rotors on a well, covering about 0.75 acre. The Hunter rotors are leaking profusely.

Well output is about 10 gpm maintaining a steady 50 psi at the well pressure tank.

Property slopes gently downward from front yard to back, so there is probably a fair level difference between rotors, even on the same zone.

I went and re-nozzled all zones to match precipitation, assuming pressure at each head was the same. This made a significant difference. Nonetheless, with 10 gpm output on the well, each zone still needs to run quite a while to get a good amount on the lawn in as few irrigation sessions as possible.

My question is this: would I get any advantage from upgrading to some of the different "features" in rotors when I go to switch out the Hunter PRS? Due to the leaks (I change 4-5 heads per year), I am contemplating a different brand. Specifically, I'm thinking about:
  • Pressure regulation - I know Rainbird offers the PRS feature in some of their rotors to maintain a constant 45 psi at each head. It seems these are used for cases where pressure is high, but I'm thinking that the height differences between some of my rotors might be causing some to have higher pressure, some will be lower, ultimately affecting the true precip rate they put out. Regulating to a constant pressure could prevent some of this.
  • Check valves - Most of my zones drain out when turned off, with a fair amount of time in the first minute or so refilling and blowing out the air.
Obviously I wouldn't want to select any options that degrade performance - on a lower flow, moderate pressure well, I could see the potential to create higher pressure drops as well.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 7th 2019, 6:37am

'PRS Rotors" would imply MP-Rotator rotary nozzles in a Hunter Pro Spray body. Can you confirm this is what you are using?

Rate this thread