You are not logged in.

Reldon

Thursday, February 7th 2019, 8:13am

Rain Bird Controller Replacement

Hello all;

I recently bought a house that has an existing Rain Bird system installed. The controller is a SST-600i. I am planning to replace the controller because the LCD screen does not work. I am planning to replace it with a ST8I-WIFI. It appears that the process should be fairly straight forward, but there is something odd about the way the existing system is wired. Here is a photo of what is in place right now

Zone 4 and 6 are connected to a external small grey box with three wires coming out of it. One is labeled Zone 1, the second is labeled Zone 2, and the last is labeled Active. The Zone 1, and Zone 2 wires are the yellow wires connected to Zone 4 and Zone 6 on the controller. Active is the smaller gauge red wire that runs back down in to the PVC pipe going away from the controller.

Here is one side of the external "box"

Any info on what this external "box" is, and what it does would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Corrected photos

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Reldon" (Feb 12th 2019, 12:01pm)

mrfixit

Thursday, February 7th 2019, 11:32pm

I can't get your photos to work. Go to www.tinypic.com, upload your pics there then cut n paste the "forum" code to your post. The pictures will appear.

Reldon

Tuesday, February 12th 2019, 12:02pm

I can't get your photos to work. Go to www.tinypic.com, upload your pics there then cut n paste the "forum" code to your post. The pictures will appear.
Thanks for the pointer. I have corrected my images. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Reldon

Wednesday, February 13th 2019, 1:43pm

Thanks for the input. I've been scratching my head over this one for a while. I can't find anything about what it might be anywhere on the internet. It would help if there was some sort of a part number on it, but there isn't. It simply says Zone 1 on one of the sides with the a yellow wire coming in, Zone 2 on the opposite side where the other yellow wire comes in, and Active where the red wire comes out. On the rain sensor input there is a small yellow jumper between the two ports, so I don't think there is rain sensor installed. The only thing I can figure is maybe two zones on the controller being connected to a single actual zone, but I can't really think of a reason why something like that would be done.

The primary reason I'm replacing the controller is because the LCD screen doesn't work right now, so I'm limited in what information I can get out of the existing system. I think I'll try manually triggering zone 4 and zone 6 to see what happens.

Thanks again.

mrfixit

Wednesday, February 13th 2019, 3:10pm

Well I totally screwed this one up. Nothing I said makes any sense. OOPS! That's what happens when you don't wear your glasses. haha. Maybe it has something to do with a doubler or add a zone type thing.

Rate this thread