You are not logged in.

cpatton13

Unregistered

Friday, August 24th 2018, 11:26pm

Backflow/Winterization Question

Hey all!

So I'm knee deep in a DIY sprinkler system project and this weekend I would like to tie into the water source. After some deliberation I decided to tee off a hose bib line, I know this isn't ideal normally but the system is designed for low flow/low PSI. Also, while setting up the system I've had a regular hose attached to the PVC main line just to test/flush the heads as they're installed. Anyway... so my current setup is as follows (1/2 inch copper line)

Check Valve -> House/Exterior Wall -> Tee -> Hose Bib
|
Ball shutoff valve

And that's where I'm at now. I would like to add a second backflow device below the shutoff valve, and I would like to set up for blow out winterization so I believe I need a hookup (or two?) for that below the shutoff valve. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to what kind of backflow device and winterization/blow out hookups are needed. Am I missing anything-- do I need a drain valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cpatton13

Unregistered

Friday, August 24th 2018, 11:29pm

Note: I thought my diagram would copy over better but the spacing didn't take. The ball shutoff valve is directly below the tee. So my question is what other connections I need between the shutoff valve and the main line (IE backflow device, drain valve if needed, winterization/air compressor hookup).

RichMoney

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 4:16pm

Directly after you T install the ball valve or shut off, next I would install a threaded T with 1/4" threads to hook up an air fitting too. You can install a plug in the 1/4" threads for now.

Each city/county have different rules for backflow devices as far as type and even where they can be installed. Check with your local authorities to see what the recommend.

https://sprinklerresource.com

Rate this thread