You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nholt

Saturday, August 18th 2018, 7:07pm

Does the spigot/hose bib need to be below the backflow preventer? See pictures in my post

Long story short I am getting ready to install my backflow preventer on my DIY irrigation system. The main water supply is the pipe coming out from under the storage shed. It tees off to the left for the water hose bib and the irrigation is on the right. The other two PVC pipes on the left of the pictures are coming from the yard irrigation. My question is do I need to lower the hose bib/spigot so that it is below the backflow preventer? And also is my mockup of everything in the second picture a good plan?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "nholt" (Aug 18th 2018, 7:29pm)

mrfixit

Saturday, August 18th 2018, 9:43pm

It looks like three of those valves are for drip lines, yes? I recommend you get valves with flow controls. Sometimes drip valves have a hard time turning off because of the low flow and turning down the flow control helps a lot.
You can either change it now or wait and see what happens. If you need flow controls you can always just swap out the bonnets from new valves. I just figure if you do it now you can return the valves.

And that faucet. Maybe just buy one of those hose bib backflow devices that screws right onto the bib.

nholt

Sunday, August 19th 2018, 12:40am

Thank you for the response. Yes three valves are for drip irrigation zones. The valves are https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00466X8TO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and my understanding is that I can adjust the flow with the built in pressure regulator.
I was also thinking I could just move the hose bib to the pipe coming out of the backflow preventer. I added a pict to show. https://ibb.co/i7nm3K For some reason I can't get my pict to show up but the link is here. https://ibb.co/i7nm3K

mrfixit

Sunday, August 19th 2018, 12:47am

It clearly says those valves are for drip. Give it a go.

nholt

Sunday, August 19th 2018, 9:26am

Thank you for the response. So my plan now is just to go ahead and move the spigot/hose bib to the pipe coming out of the backflow preventer. I think I'll be happier in the long run with it set up that way. I hope to get most of it all together today!

Sunday, August 19th 2018, 12:27pm

By code (at least where I am at), the spigot needs to be AFTER the PVB. So it would need to go on the downleg.

nholt

Sunday, August 19th 2018, 1:02pm

Thank you for the response.
I guess I could leave the spigot where it is and just add one of those small vacuum breakers that screws on to the spigot from home depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Source-3-4-in-Brass-Yard-Hydrant-Vacuum-Breaker-VB34ANL/203449604?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD26P%7C26-6_IRRIGATION%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000033850294%7c58700003917961059%7c92700031587125878&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3-Xvntn53AIVgiFpCh1tlQDeEAQYASABEgKnGfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COqh-qDZ-dwCFdHYwAodjHYJ2A

However I definitely want it done right so I guess I will go ahead and move the spigot to the down leg.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 19th 2018, 5:01pm

The plumbing configuration in the photo would be acceptable even with elevation questions, because the hose bib is upstream of the PVB, and not part of the sprinkler system. It is the plumbing downstream of a PVB that must comply with elevation requirements. And yes, go ahead an install a hose-bib vacuum breaker.

nholt

Tuesday, August 21st 2018, 1:01am

Thank you for the responses. I got sidetracked but hopefully I will get back to working on it. If I go ahead and move the spigot to the downleg of the backflow then I'll make sure it's 12 inches below the backflow.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 21st 2018, 1:21pm

If you change the hose bib location to downstream of the PVB, then you don't need to install a vacuum breaker attachment on it.

Rate this thread