You are not logged in.

mrdgarden

Unregistered

Thursday, July 26th 2018, 12:18pm

Toro valve with or without flow regulator?

Hi,
I am troubleshooting the system in a newly bought house... I'm completely new to all this so have been reading up as much as possible, and believe that I need a new valve.. I can't seem to find an example exactly like the one I have.. But it's also the odd one out of the 6 that are currently there (maybe means it was replaced before?) it's got Toro EZ Flo written on it, but it doesn't have the screw like the others do..

The symptom I'm having is that it doesn't close the sprinkler head on that circuit.. even when I completely disconnected the solenoid.. I have taken it apart to clean etc, but no luck..

I have found 2 valves which I think could replace it, but they offer two versions: EZP-02-54 - 1"Solenoid valve with flow regulator.. and EZP-02-54 - 1"Solenoid valve without flow regulator..

Now I'm not 100% sure how a flow regulator would work in this case.. Is it for systems which have too much psi? It means you can install them in high PSI systems without issue.. whereas without a regulator, you would have to make sure the system itself is either a suitable PSI, or you have a separate regulator before in the chain.. In this case, I can't see a downside into getting the one with flow regulator..

What do you guys think? Any help greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

(PS.. if needed: the house is in Spain, but I am back & forth from England all the time.. so either UK or Europe shops are suitable.. and if any other info needed, just ask :) )

Photos here: https://imgur.com/a/S8iIMMY

mrfixit

Friday, July 27th 2018, 4:53am

If it was me, I'd buy one of those new valves and see if I can rebuild the old valves using the parts from the new valve.
The way the valve's installed, it might be a pain to change the whole thing.

With that said, I've never tried to do what I just suggested with that model valve but they look compatible to me.

mrdgarden

Unregistered

Friday, July 27th 2018, 5:52am

Ok.. Many thanks! I'll do that.. I'll buy the one without flow regulator then as looking at more pics online, I see it's a little taller than what's there at the moment..

Thanks again!
If it was me, I'd buy one of those new valves and see if I can rebuild the old valves using the parts from the new valve.
The way the valve's installed, it might be a pain to change the whole thing.

With that said, I've never tried to do what I just suggested with that model valve but they look compatible to me.