You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mudman

Tuesday, June 12th 2018, 7:38pm

Pressure Switch Question

Recently some mice ate through wires in one of my valve boxes causing a valve to not open. The pump didn't like this and eventually broke open a union downstream of the pump discharge. To avoid this in the future, I installed a pressure switch on the pump discharge to shut off the pump if the pressure exceeded the ordinary operating range of 35-45 psi. I set the pressure switch at 55 psi. However, when my orbit timer starts the pump there is a large (70 psi +) pressure spike which immediately shuts down the pump. What's interesting is that if I press the pressure switch reset button the pump works perfectly. Why the pressure spike when the timer turns on the pump but not when I reset the pump? Any help would be much appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 13th 2018, 9:12am

Some controllers can energize a master valve or pump terminal a second or so a zone terminal energizes. You may need a small pressure tank alongside the pressure switch in order to ride out this pressure spike.

Mudman

Wednesday, June 13th 2018, 4:11pm

Pressure Switch Question

Thanks Wet_Boots, much appreciated. A small pressure tank upstream of the pressure switch should do it. I tried a different approach without success. I disconnected the pump wire from the controller and started the timer, assuming it would open the valves. After 5 minutes I reinserted the pump wire into the controller. No luck, the pressure still spiked. I then went to the pump, reset the pressure switch and everything worked fine. My thought was if that worked I could install a ON DELAY timer relay between the timer and the pump. Any thoughts on why that didn't work?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 15th 2018, 9:39am

A delay unit might solve a pressure spike issue, but the pressure tank is your best bet, because of it providing a physical shock absorber to the plumbing. Also, the classical no-pump-relay-needed supply will have a pressure tank and a pressure switch, with a large enough tank giving you an always-pressurized water supply you might be able to use for things other than lawn watering.

RichMoney

Wednesday, July 4th 2018, 9:27pm

You can also install a pop off valve on the pump or somewhere in the main line. Once the pressure reaches a specified point it will dump water out of the valvle.

https://sprinklerresource.com/

Rate this thread