You are not logged in.

gossamer

Saturday, June 2nd 2018, 9:07pm

Replacing Rain Bird sprinkler head

Hi, I'm a homeowner with an above average ability to fix stuff on my own. I have two sprinkler heads in my yard that don't work. The first is appears to be an A12 (based on the writing on the base) that no longer rotates on its own. If I give it a little help, it again starts to rotate, but eventually stops again.

After digging out around it and unscrewing it (I've covered the hole with a plastic bag to avoid dirt getting in there), it appears it's comprised of multiple parts. Perhaps it's possible to just replace part of it instead of buying a whole new one?

The other sprinkler head is a smaller one (I don't have the model/part number yet), but it's just a constant spray, set at 180 degrees. The problem with this one is that it appears mostly clogged. Only a very small spray is produced. Perhaps it was somehow damaged?

Do I just replace the entire cylinder that's inside of the sprinkler head?

I don't want to buy parts at HD or Lowes.

Thanks,
Dave

mrfixit

Saturday, June 2nd 2018, 10:40pm

Once they stop turning you need to replace the whole head. Or just the innards if you don't want to unscrew the body. The spray head is either turned down too low or there's debris inside the nozzle. Unscrew it and clean it out. Just the nozzle.

gossamer

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 8:38am

Once they stop turning you need to replace the whole head. Or just the innards if you don't want to unscrew the body. The spray head is either turned down too low or there's debris inside the nozzle. Unscrew it and clean it out. Just the nozzle.
Thanks for your help. I see "5000 PLUS" written on the green rubber on the top of the head. Is this the proper part number? It seems to match this one, but what is PCSR?

http://store.rainbird.com/5000s-pcsr-5000-series-shrub-rotor-with-prs-pressure-regulation-and-sam-check-valve.html

mrfixit

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 12:40pm

Well you've picked out a sprinkler that's designed to be above ground. It doesn't pop up. It's permanently up.
Everything's in the description. Pressure regulated and a check valve installed. That's a more expensive model.
Try this one. 5000.

RichMoney

Tuesday, June 5th 2018, 5:42pm

As mrfixit stated, I would stick with the 5000 series rotors you can go with the plus if you like. The only difference being that there is an on/off switch for the water flow out of the nozzle.
Make sure you pick up a set of nozzles as well, found here.
The spray head has a Filter just under the nozzle. That usually gets clogged, or grass roots grow down into the nozzle during off seasons.
The easiest way to clean them out it is to set the controller for a small amount of time. Long enough for you to hold the neck of the spinkler head while it is extended. Depending on the weather I will remove the nozzle while the system is running.
This flushes the head and allows you to clean the filter, but try not to drop the neck. Then reassemble the nozzle and filter once the water turns off.
If you do drop the neck you can start to thread the nozzle back into the neck while it is lowered then use a small flat head screw driver placed between the nozzle and the sprinkler housing, to lift it back up.

If you need to replace the head, you will need to know what kind of nozzle it has. The are typicly colored and labled. Somthing like this: 12 H or 10 Q.
12 being the distance it sprays, and the H being a Half Circle. 12' H is a 12' Half, and 10' Q is 10' Quarter cicle. The color will corespond to how far it sprays. For example Blue will be 10' and Brown will be 12'.
It maybe easier to buy a VAN (Variable Arc Nozzle)nozzle, which can be used for all applications. It sprays from 0 to 360 degrees.
The nozzles can be found here.
https://sprinklerresource.com/

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 6th 2018, 4:31am

Or, you could buy your product from the people who own Sprinkler Talk for a much lower price.
Sprinkler Warehouse

gossamer

Thursday, June 7th 2018, 11:20am

Or, you could buy your product from the people who own Sprinkler Talk for a much lower price.
Sprinkler Warehouse
Is there any difference between what's purchased at Sprinkler Warehouse and the options that are available at Home Depot? I was in HD for another reason the other day, and they have what is branded as Rain Bird 42SA+ "professional grade rotor" for like $11 that appears to be the same as the 5000 Series device I currently have.

Is it that it won't last as long? Is it not built as well?

Do you also recommend I replace the rotor nozzles in the other spray heads as well? What is the procedure for doing this?

gossamer

Monday, June 11th 2018, 6:26pm

Sprinkler Warehouse
That's exactly what I've done. Just placed an order for two 5004-PC sprinkler heads (only needed one, but they were half the price of rainbird.com) and five 8H nozzles (only need three, but they're so cheap I'll have some for the future).

I tried again to clean the existing 8H nozzle that wasn't working very well and just couldn't. There's a screw on the top - is that for distance adjustment? Or perhaps the spray type (mist, full, etc)?

Are there manuals available online for both the 5004-PC and the 8H?

For the 5004-PC, I'll need to adjust:

- Spray distance
- Angle of spray
- Rotation
- Height of pop-up head
- The names of the actual terms that are used to describe the above :-)

Thanks for everyone's help.

gossamer

Thursday, June 14th 2018, 3:07pm

Sprinkler Warehouse
That's exactly what I've done. Just placed an order for two 5004-PC sprinkler heads (only needed one, but they were half the price of rainbird.com) and five 8H nozzles (only need three, but they're so cheap I'll have some for the future).

I tried again to clean the existing 8H nozzle that wasn't working very well and just couldn't. There's a screw on the top - is that for distance adjustment? Or perhaps the spray type (mist, full, etc)?

Are there manuals available online for both the 5004-PC and the 8H?

For the 5004-PC, I'll need to adjust:

- Spray distance
- Angle of spray
- Rotation
- Height of pop-up head
- The names of the actual terms that are used to describe the above :-)

Thanks for everyone's help.
Hi all, I posted the message above the other day and haven't received any responses. Does anyone have any further info on my questions?

BobinNH

Thursday, June 28th 2018, 4:54pm

Similar problem here

I had two head with the same issue. I took them apart and cleaned everything, reinstalled and still the problem existed. I ordered two new heads and the problem was solved.
It's small money to replace the heads.
Bob

Rate this thread