You are not logged in.

michiganguy

Unregistered

Friday, June 15th 2018, 3:59pm

Locating buried poly pipe for leak

Kind of a long story. I basically do some irrigation repair work here and there for my lawn spraying clients but this one has me puzzled of what to do. I have a friend that is trying to located a buried poly pipe for a leak. We know it's leaking because of the outrageous water bill, and after shutting off the water line for the irrigation the city water meter stop spinning.

So after doing a visual walk around the lawn I can not see any leaks at all and there are no broken irrigation heads. No puddles of water, wet spots, or "water mattress" as I like to call it.

So now I have to assume that the leak is located someone at the valves, main line or one of the adjacent irrigation zone lines. I personally think it's a main line. But he's the thousand dollar question, how do I locate a buried poly pipe line??

mrfixit

Saturday, June 16th 2018, 2:14am

Try listening at the valves. Can you hear the leak there? Sometimes I'll use a tube to listen to the valves. Similar to listening to a car engine compartment to find the source of a sound.
If you hear a valve leaking, turn the flow control off and see if the sound changes or stops.
If you can't find a leaky valve then keep looking. I've seen people put their garden hose into a gopher hole and forget they've done it. Or just leave the hose on. One guys hose was on for 6 weeks.
I'm not going to be able to help you find a poly pipe. Get out the shovel or call a leak detector guy. < Very expensive.
I'd keep looking for wet spots. Is there a place in the grass that looks dark green?
I've seen leaks go under cement and come up 75 feet away in the neighbors yard. Or down gopher holes and come up in the neighbors yard.
Expand your search area.

Rate this thread