You are not logged in.

307local

Wednesday, April 11th 2018, 12:24pm

I'm stumped on my solenoid/valve setup

Moved into a new to us house last year and haven't had any issues with the irrigation system until today. I have a zone that isn't turning off. I figured, no biggy, I'll check to see if it's the solenoid or the valve, and get it knocked out this morning. Turns out I have no idea what it is that I'm looking at. Valve box directly out from the controller contains a set of solenoids with water tubes running off to parts unknown. On the other side of the house, I have what I believe is the backflow preventer and an inline ball valve that I verified cuts water to all zones. After probing and hunting the prime suspects for another valve box, I'm come up empty. Can anyone point me in the right direction or even explain what the heck this system is?

Thanks,
Brad

backflow preventer

shutoff

solenoids

solenoids closeup

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "307local" (Apr 11th 2018, 12:30pm)

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 11th 2018, 12:50pm

It looks like you have electric solenoids controlling hydraulic valves. The tubes should lead to the valves.
Look at the color of the wire connected to the controller and it's probably the same at the solenoid of the problem zone.
I'd say either the plunger inside the solenoid is stuck open or there's a hole in the diaphragm of the valve.
Also there could be debris inside the valve keeping it open. Do any work on the main line where it was cut open?
Be very careful digging around those tubes. They're very easy to cut in half.

307local

Wednesday, April 11th 2018, 1:34pm

Thanks for the info. I changed out the selonoid with one of the others that was working, and still have the same problem, so it looks like either debris in the valve, or a diaphram issue. Are there any tricks to hunting down the valves, or is it pretty much make a best guess based on the sprinkler layout and start digging holes?

Brad

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 11th 2018, 2:15pm

The valves could literally be anywhere in the yard. I avoid hydraulic systems. I always cut that tube in half.
If the valves aren't near by I'd look closer to where the sprinklers are. It might be in an individual box.
You might be able to hear it if you're lucky, very lucky.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 12th 2018, 11:57am

Thanks for the info. I changed out the selonoid with one of the others that was working, and still have the same problem, so it looks like either debris in the valve, or a diaphram issue. Are there any tricks to hunting down the valves, or is it pretty much make a best guess based on the sprinkler layout and start digging holes?

Brad
If you cut a tube, the valve will stay open, even if the valve and solenoid operator are in good shape.

As for finding the valves, the only high-tech shortcut is a cable locater, and a roll of piano wire, to slide into the hydraulic tubes.

mrfixit

Friday, April 13th 2018, 5:18am

Yep, if the tube is cut the valve will stay on. Maybe look for a wet spot. Do any digging lately?

Rate this thread