You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jmeetze80

Unregistered

Thursday, April 12th 2018, 9:01am

Low pressure on two out of four zones

I have a low pressure issue on two out of my four zones. The two zones that work fine are in my front yard which are zones 1 and 2. The two that have low pressure are in the back yard, zones 3 and 4.

The previous home owners have a tap for a water pressure gauge in line so I can see the water pressure when each zone comes on. When zones 1 and 2 come on, the pressure is around 70 psi, but when zones 3 and 4 come on, it drops to around 30 psi. I had a sprinkler repair guy come out and he said that he thinks the issue is a leak or root rapped around my main line, which is confusing to me because if that were the case, I would think I would see low pressure to all zones if that were the case. Any suggestions? Would it be worth replacing the valves to zones 3 and 4? So far I have been unable to find any leaks.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 12th 2018, 10:10am

You can cap off heads to help find leaks, or to rule out leaks. Spray heads often have throttle screws that can close off flow. Rotor heads are more involved, sometimes requiring they be unthreaded and a plug or cap being temporarily put in their place. If you have the skill to change rotor nozzles, and have the spares that you should have for your inventory, you can take some of the nozzles that are sizes you know you'll never need, and fill the inside cavities with silicone caulk, turning them into "nozzle plugs" that will aid your diagnosis.

Referring to the pressure gauge readings, a supply pressure below normal points at a leak. When there is root constriction choking a zone pipe, the flow is reduced, and the supply pressure should become higher than normal.

jmeetze80

Unregistered

Thursday, April 12th 2018, 12:41pm

Thank you for the tips. I'll see if I can cap my sprinkler heads and try to find the leak.

Rate this thread