You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, January 28th 2018, 9:20pm

TORO ex wires to the back up battery are burnt

Hi, an older user here but more a follower but I do have a question that someone might have the answer.
I have a TORO ex sprinkler controller, the owner before me apparently put the switch on the charge option

and put in a regular 9 volt alkaline battery, the leads look burnt and broke off.

Is this unit serviceable in that I might take it apart and re-solder new leads to the main board.

If I can it certainly would be easier than replacing it as otherwise it works great, only thing is in a power outage I lose my program.
Would be a help if someone has done this before, thanks....Ernie

Here is what the unit looks like, you might have to copy & paste the link:
https://lawn-garden.needmanual.com/toro-users-guide-automatic-outdoor-sprinkler-timer-ecx-owners-manual.html

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "canuck travellers" (Jan 28th 2018, 10:23pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 30th 2018, 8:51am

You maybe get to be the first. Take lots of photos, and give it a shot.

Tuesday, January 30th 2018, 9:46am

You maybe get to be the first. Take lots of photos, and give it a shot.
I must be slow, how do you put pictures on here?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 31st 2018, 7:09pm

You don't. Not directly. Upload them to the internet by way of tinypic.com and bring back the IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards to paste into the message.

Saturday, February 10th 2018, 1:27pm

Rainbird Model # SST-400in, Simple Set Timer Indoor 4 Zone

Just put this in replacing my older TORO ECx, easy set up (don't like the wire connections but I guess they are OK) my question is the clocking mechanism, the clock loses 7 to 8 seconds a day, I know that might seem trivial but that's 46 minutes a year....I find that way too much slack in the clock. I don't see any way of making adjustments either.

Just wondering if anyone else has had that problem with these units, if so there will be no need for me to return if they all have a poor clocking system. My old TORO ECx never lost a second, was more accurate than my watch.

Any experience is greatly appreciated and might save me from returning this one and replacing it with another Rain Bird.
Thanks a lot!.....Ernie
http://i63.tinypic.com/2upct9v.jpg[/IMG]
http://i63.tinypic.com/2upct9v.jpg
http://s9.tinypic.com/2upct9v_th.jpg

This post has been edited 7 times, last edit by "canuck travellers" (Feb 11th 2018, 11:44am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 11th 2018, 12:58pm

Let the controller run awhile. It might have some self-correcting ability for the time of day. I personally never worried about the precise time the controller displayed, since the lawn didn't benefit by accurate-to-the-second controllers. Lawns did just fine with motorized controllers you couldn't set to exact minutes, let alone seconds.

Sunday, February 11th 2018, 3:50pm

Thanks, I will try that, I guess my concern is we live here in Florida for about five months and gone 7 months so that means a loss of a half hour or more in our absence, not earth shattering but I have never had a clock, watch or any clocking mechanism that badly out of time, the timing is simply a chip on a board and is usually extremely accurate like my old Toro it was more accurate than any watch I ever had.

I see a 1-800 number for Rainbird, I think I will try them tomorrow as I have had this working for several days and it is 7 to 8 seconds loss in 24 hours.

Will post the results.

Thursday, February 15th 2018, 3:56pm

As I mentioned in the previous message my Rainbird was losing 7 to 8 seconds per day which might seem paltry in the great scheme of things but that's almost an hour a year.

So I went to Home Depot and bought another Rainbird but instead of the 4 valve I bought the 6 valve unit and just plugged it in, set the clock and timed it and as suspected this unit lost the same amount of time right to the second.
So the problem is I would guess is the clocking chip that must all have this fault built into them.
An hour a year loss in any clocking mechanism is way out of bounds.
I will keep the unit (returned the 6 valve one to HD) and put up with its inherent clocking fault.

The other issue is the method of connecting up the wire leads where you have to get a screwdriver, push in the plastic clips and shove the wires into a slot, if these are braided wires...good luck, I had to put solder on them so as to make them rigid enough to accept the wires. On the plus side the unit is as they say "Simple Set Timer" easy to set but a few faults but also a great buy at $50 US plus taxes.
Thought others might like to know how my Rainbird turned out.

Would I buy again....maybe but I would check out others first as my former TORO had an excellent clocking system.

Thursday, March 29th 2018, 10:02am

RE: Rainbird Model # SST-400in, Simple Set Timer Indoor 4 Zone

As I mentioned in the previous message my Rainbird was losing 7 to 8 seconds per day which might seem paltry in the great scheme of things but that's almost an hour a year.

So I went to Home Depot and bought another Rainbird but instead of the 4 valve I bought the 6 valve unit and just plugged it in, set the clock and timed it and as suspected this unit lost the same amount of time right to the second.
So the problem is I would guess is the clocking chip that must all have this fault built into them.
An hour a year loss in any clocking mechanism is way out of bounds.
I will keep the unit (returned the 6 valve one to HD) and put up with its inherent clocking fault.

The other issue is the method of connecting up the wire leads where you have to get a screwdriver, push in the plastic clips and shove the wires into a slot, if these are braided wires...good luck, I had to put solder on them so as to make them rigid enough to accept the wires. On the plus side the unit is as they say "Simple Set Timer" easy to set but a few faults but also a great buy at $50 US plus taxes.
Thought others might like to know how my Rainbird turned out.

Would I buy again....maybe but I would check out others first as my former TORO had an excellent clocking system.
RE my NEW Rainbird Model # SST-400in, Simple Set Timer Indoor 4 Zone
Well my Sprinkler was set to come on at 5AM this morning, I heard the pump start and immediately quit, I went out in the Golf Cart Shed and looked at the unit, no light on the 24 Volt Transformer. I pulled the transformer out and plugged it into an outlet....no light...no power going thru the transformer, took my old 24 Volt Transformer and plugged it in and touched the 24 Volt wires to the contacts in the Rainbird unit and it worked (the new on has push on connectors) So went down to Home Depot this morning and got a new unit and hooked it up and all is OK now.
Anyone out there have trouble with the 24 Volt Transformers in these Rainbird units?
I don't know if I can trust these units or not, we are absent from this winter home for seven months a year, if the irrigation system acts up like this morning we lose our lawn and will cost big time.
It would be helpful if someone on the forum has any experience with these units good or bad, specifically the 24 volt transformers, we have only had this unit for 1.5 months.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 29th 2018, 1:35pm

If there is a relay controlling the pump operation, it might be too much of a current draw for a newer controller. You might have to spend more time and money sorting this out. There are pump relays with low current draw available. There are used or new-old-stock electromechanical controllers you could install, with power enough for old pump relays. There is even the relay-to-power-a-relay method, where you buy a second 24VAC transformer, and a small relay to send its power to a pump relay. This last is the most complicated, but it lets you employ any controller to run the system, with no need to deal with high-voltage pump power wiring.

Rate this thread