You are not logged in.

HORNET33

Unregistered

Friday, March 9th 2018, 7:13pm

Problem Wiring Multiple Valves Inline

Hi all,

Situation: After the pump there is a 2 valve manifold, one goes to the front yard and the other goes to the backyard. In the front yard there is a 2 valve manifold to control the 2 front yard zones.

Task: To turn zone 1 on in the front yard, the 'front yard' valve and the zone 1 valve both need to be turned on. To turn zone 2 on in the front yard, the 'front yard' valve and the zone 2 valve both need to be turned on.

Problem: I connected the Hot Wires for front yard valves 1 and 2, to both the 'front yard' valve and the individual zone valve. The problem is all 3 valves turn on because the current is back flowing to turn on the other zone valve.

My first thought was to add 2 diodes where the 'T' is between the zone wire and the 'front yard' valve to prevent zone 1 current from touching zone 2, but then I realized it's an AC circuit so that's probably not a good idea.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

HORNET33

Unregistered

Friday, March 9th 2018, 7:26pm

Maybe I'm making it too complicated and there's an easier way to do all of this to avoid the problem completely. All I'm trying to do is:

When station 1 is on, valve 1 and valve F need to be on.
When station 2 is on, valve 2 and valve F need to be on.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 10th 2018, 9:35am

Buy some 24VAC relays, and you can manage to connect the dots. If you still can't get there, work up a diagram showing valves and wiring, and upload it to the internet, and then post it here, using the "insert image" option.

HORNET33

Unregistered

Friday, March 23rd 2018, 7:23pm

Thanks for the feedback. This is what I came up with

Thank you for the suggestion. I got a couple of double pole, single throw relays to play with and it seems like they're going to work.

Here is a drawing of my plan. The picture isn't the complete system, but hopefully it'll be enough to get the idea. (note: the red wires connected to the relays are the induction power lines that will throw the switch. The orange wires are circuit that will be completed by the relay)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21dnyue&s=9#.WrWok3wh3mF

Let me know what you think. I'm going to wire it up tomorrow, so I'll post the results.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 24th 2018, 8:39am

Your image isn't showing. It helps to copy and paste only the code from the box labeled as for forums posting.

You got the idea. Relays allow you to maintain the separation of the output wiring, until an interconnection is needed for desired zone operation.