You are not logged in.

houston

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 2:58am

Hand Trenching

What is the proper way to hand trench?

What are the steps to do it? I read to put sod to one side of the trench and dirt on the other. What type of shovels to use? Is the trench a true "V" or a certain width all the way down? [?]

Thanks,
Houston

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Monday, March 22nd 2004, 3:09pm

Use a flat shovel to cut your sod about the width of a sharp shooter the length of your trench line then cross cut every 18" or so. Remove the sod with the flat shovel then finish digging out the trench with a sharp shooter. Using tarps for the dirt makes a world of difference on the clean up after you back fill. Put back the sod then tamp the trench line with a tamper. Hope that helps.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 23rd 2004, 6:29am

What is a sharp shooter? Tarp...good idea.
Thanks,

Pete

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 23rd 2004, 12:17pm

Drain spade/sharp shooter are the shovels that have the blades that are about 6" wide and about 14" long. They are great for hand trenching.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 25th 2004, 8:00am

ok. I have one of those. Just was not sure what it was called. what maufacturer do you like for these?
Thanks,

Pete

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Thursday, March 25th 2004, 12:53pm

Northstar makes a good one with the long polymer handle that I like. I've had it for years with just about every day use. Not hand trenching only. All around good shovel.

FixItDaddy

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 12:21pm

Here's a couple of other suggestions. Only cut the sod on one side of the trench. Cut under the sod and then fold it back on top of itself. It will fit like a glove when its returned. Also, there is another type of spade called a "tile spade". It has a curved blade that makes it easier to dig in the trench. Hope this helps.[:)]

Rate this thread