You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, November 30th 2017, 6:10pm

Do you recognize this valve model?

New to the forum, looking forward to learning a lot.

I am a typical DIY home owner/under the tree auto mech with my
assistant, youtube vidoes and forums. All the same, first time working
on sprinkler.

1-
Found this thingy was causing a puddle on my yard. Lowes guy didn't know
what model this was. Does anyone recognize what it is so I can buy a
replacement, the top part?

2-
Alternatively if it is easier to buy the entire valve I can work it.
Just need to know what's a reliable unit to pick up at Lowes/HD? This is
a 1" pipe.

3-
Typically what voltage runs on these units, 24vac?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "2519" (Nov 30th 2017, 6:53pm)

mrfixit

Thursday, November 30th 2017, 8:21pm

That's a Rainbird EV100 very similar to the HR1. The parts are interchangeable.
In your picture you've cut the pipe already. You may as well replace the valve.
Here's the valve at Lowe's you want. Hunter Valve. Yep, 24 volt.

Friday, December 1st 2017, 12:34am

Thank you so much! So many overwhelming choices. I will get the hunter from lowes.
I am not sure how good my other valves are. If I need to replace the bonnet is the HR1 repair kit what I will need? Usually where do you guys buy these from? This is what I have seen so far here https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Valve-Replacement-Parts-p/spk-hr1.htm

mrfixit

Friday, December 1st 2017, 2:19am

As long as the valve body and solenoid are ok then the HR1 parts should work.
That's a very old valve though.

Saturday, December 2nd 2017, 9:26pm

As long as the valve body and solenoid are ok then the HR1 parts should work.
That's a very old valve though.
I stumbled upon the idea of an automatic drain valve-below or any effective alt. Now that I am having to fix solenoid I would like to take advantage of this auto drain valve. My questions are
1-Is this a good idea?

2-does each zone need one or one will suffice for all 7 zones, installed at the lowest point?

3-If one is needed for each zone can I install it right next to this valve that I am about to replace? It's in a low area already.

4-How is this installed - on a threaded T connector facing downward?

EDIT*****
I am in Dallas Texas if that will help with localization info. We don't have crazy freezes if you will.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "2519" (Dec 2nd 2017, 10:53pm)

mrfixit

Saturday, December 2nd 2017, 9:44pm

The only time I've seen one of those installed they guy had it at the end of his dripline. He said it keeps the emitters from getting clogged cause the water zips by the emitters when the zone is first activated. I never gave it any thought after that.

I don't live in an area where people drain their lines for winter. Someone else will have to chime in on this.

Sunday, December 3rd 2017, 3:26pm

This valve seems to have a smaller bonnet meaning that it's parts -inner guts - are specific only to it, compared to the Rain Birds with a wider diaphragm, appear to have a more readily available selection of inner guts including generic parts. Does this valve have interchangeable parts? I ask because I saw many parts on display for Rain Birds including generic ones at 4-5 bux but none for this valve other than at Amazon for $10?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 3rd 2017, 4:28pm

Replace all of the valves with one of the perennial designs (like the Irritrol 2400) and call it job done.

mrfixit

Sunday, December 3rd 2017, 8:03pm

Boots doesn't care about what people's questions are. That Hunter valve is an excellent valve and can be bought where you want to shop.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, December 4th 2017, 4:10am

Boots doesn't care about what people's questions are. That Hunter valve is an excellent valve and can be bought where you want to shop.
You missed the fact that this person posted on another forum, and received the recommendation of the 2400. Hunter's PGV is by default their perennial design, the earlier SRV and later HPV having been discontinued.

Irritrol is the marathon runner of valve designs, their perennials from the bought-out Richdel company having been in continuous production close on to 50 years, and still repairable today. The Hunter PGV and the Rainbird DV and a very few more obscure makes are also good bets to hit the 50-year mark in a decade or three.

Rate this thread