You are not logged in.

earleib

Monday, August 28th 2017, 2:20pm

Repairing a Rain Bird E-3 controller

I have a Rain Bird E-3 controller that doesn't hold it's memory any longer. There is supposed to be a "Super Capacitor" on the circuit board that holds the memory and I have no problem replacing this but I need to know which one it is (where it's located) and the value of it.
Thanks
earleib

mrfixit

Monday, August 28th 2017, 11:44pm

So you're saying the controller works for a while then the display goes blank? Or you always have a display and you can run it manually from the controller but the programming resets?
manual

earleib

Tuesday, August 29th 2017, 10:57am

Repairing a Rain Bird E-3 controller

The display does not go blank...I have no problem programming my controller and it works fine until there is a power interruption/outage. Then I loose all programming and the screen goes back to 1996 the default date. I can run it manually if I wanted to. It just looses the program that was setup.

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 29th 2017, 1:23pm

Ok gotcha. I thought maybe there was a short or a bad transformer.

I don't think you'll be able to fix the problem. That controller's very old. They're basically disposable. But I understand where you're coming from. My cordless drills manuals say, "unrepairable". They don't make them anymore and they're nowhere on the net. Not even Ebay. So I took one apart. Sent the batteries off to North Carolina and had some battery packs made. I'm a happy camper again.

I don't know of one person who's ever done what you're attempting and I've never seen a schematic. I don't think there is one. But there is probably some genius out there who knows what to look for. Maybe send a pic of the circuit board to an expert and see if they can spot it for you.

It might be easier to buy a new model.

Rate this thread