You are not logged in.

BCRW House

Saturday, July 15th 2017, 1:53am

Existing system failing

I've been at this residence for 5 years now, time for some green grass any my poor kid wont have to play on dry weeds / stickers. This system was existing and I assume it worked. I have never been able to get the system to function and had removed multiple sprinkler heads, reduced the size of lawn and added a larger 12 station timer.
My water comes from a well with 3 HP pump. Well functions properly per two separate well contractors. It may be old though and was recommended to be replaced by one mainly due to age. Well guy came to fix breaker which kept switching off. I think because well was cycling when running sprinklers. I cant seem to keep well running with sprinkler on.
Issues are not enough water powering sprinkler heads. Sprinkler heads are 3/4" Rain Bird impacts. I the most I have coming from 1" pvc is 5 heads which operate poorly. lines with 3 heads somewhat function.
I'll attempt to attached a drawing. All length measurements are approximate but close.
Off the well I have 3' of 1 1/4 copper pipe to 1 1/4 PVC. From there I have 61' of PVC which goes to 1 1/4 shut off valves, (two valves, one controls west end and one for east end, both were replaced). From there I assume it remains 1 1/4 for 45' to 1" sprinkler valves. 1" lines come from valves to sprinkler heads.
Hose bibs coming from 1" valves run at 45psi and 6.5 gpm. Its about 170' of PVC.
Lawn size is 110' x 40 for west lawn and 90' x 82' from east lawn
Questions I have are.
1) will that setup ever work
2) switching Impacts to 1/2 from 3/4 make a difference
3) what could I do.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BCRW House" (Jul 15th 2017, 2:00am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 15th 2017, 1:43pm

Describe your well. How deep is it? Did the well professionals run any performance tests on it? That would have given you some flow and pressure numbers to compare to the sprinklers you are trying to operate.

BCRW House

Saturday, July 15th 2017, 4:49pm

Well is 3hp. Unknown on any performance test. I'll check that out though.
I do have a 1 1/4 pipe coming from well running 250' to a pond. When valve is open pump runs continuously with good volume. I do have 3/4 spickets coming from that line that run 45psi and 20 gpm

Bcrwhouse

Unregistered

Saturday, August 26th 2017, 4:56pm

Located a plastic cap obstructing the gate valve. Now pump runs and flows increased. A lot of sediment built up though may snake it out. Now need to figure out sprinkler design

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 27th 2017, 7:52am

3/4 inch impact heads are serious watering - their replacement cost is steep - assume the original installer knew what he was doing

You would still benefit from knowing absolutely what the well is producing on its own, operating separately from current downstream plumbing, rather than have to be making guesses.

Rate this thread