You are not logged in.

Friday, July 21st 2017, 6:40pm

Leaking rotors

Have Rainbird 5000 rotors that aren't always popping up all the way. This is on a pump and if they don't pop up the extra flow from leaks gives about 35 psi as the main line. If they pop up I get about 40 PSI. I can get them all to pop up by pressing in one rotor with my foot or running another zone with less flow first. I could put in smaller nozzles... or do I need to replace seals? Or do I have to replace the whole thing to get new seals?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 21st 2017, 6:57pm

Is this on a well? I happens that the 5000 series rotors have good seals, so I look elsewhere first.

Friday, July 21st 2017, 11:10pm

Pump from a pond. The other zones work fine although I should probably put in lower flow nozzles - the pump is about at it's limit for flow at decent pressure. I see the literature that the 5000 has triple seals but I really question how much better they are. Maybe they are worn out. The Hunter I20 rotors that have been in longer and get used more than the 5000s don't have leakage anything close to what the 5000 do. They leak quite a bit until they pop up all the way - I can see it coming out around the bottom of the shaft that pops up. The pressure is lower when they are half up than when they are up all the way. Seems like seal issues to me. If you would look elsewhere, where would that be?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 22nd 2017, 9:05am

If the heads are ten years old, then seal wear might be in play. Definitely try smaller-size nozzles if you have them on hand. From-a-pond pumps are very often simple centrifugal pumps with output pressures lower than city water supplies.

Saturday, July 22nd 2017, 1:28pm

They get stuck halfway up. There is a designed in flush of the arc adjustment screw area as it comes up and this flush is where most of the excess water is going. It doesn't look like seal leakage, at least not after it is up.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 22nd 2017, 3:14pm

If you don't like how the heads are behaving, you buy new ones. Outside of wiper seals, there is nothing you can repair or replace or adjust. I never had to replace a wiper seal on a 5000 rotor, by the way. Different story on a Hunter PGP, for which replacement wiper seals are easily found.

By the way, before you worry overmuch about the one zone of heads, make certain there isn't a break in the zone. That would kill performance on heads that are fine and ready to work, given adequate pressure.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Jul 22nd 2017, 6:25pm)

Rate this thread