You are not logged in.

JeffL

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 10:19am

Orbit 3/4" brass valve didn't shut off

Last night when I was about to go to bed, I heard water running. Turned out to be one of my irrigation valves that should have closed 4 hours earlier was still open. I disconnected one of the wires from the solenoid, but it still stayed open. I didn't want to mess with it in the dark at 11:30, so I just turned down the flow "knob" unil it stopped.

This morning I turned up the flow knob, and the water was still flowing. I decided to start with the easy thing first, so with the flow knob closed again, I activated the power to the valve, and tapped the solenoid wires together a few times to make a connection. It sparked, and the solenoid clicked. I turned the water back on (with the flow knob), and the valve had closed. Tapping the wires together again would now open and close the valve as it should. Just for grins, I removed the solenoid and ran water through it. I put the solenoid back on, and it's working perfectly again.

Is there any more I can do to be sure it will continue working? I'd hate to come back from a vacation and find my lawn had been getting watered continuously for days.

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 12:05pm

It is very possible that the original installers had forgot to tighten the valves or a repair guy got sloppy and forgot to tighten the solenoid on the valve. This is very common.

You did everything right.

If you know where your other valves are it may be a good idea to check their tightness. Firm, but don't over tighten. If you can't locate your valves, don't fix it if it is not broken.

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

JeffL

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 1:33pm

Thanks for the reply.

I installed the system myself, so I know where everything is. I never tightened the solenoids, I just assumed that they came from Orbit ready to go. They've been in operation for years, but I'll take your advice and make sure they are all tight.

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 15th 2017, 4:28pm

Very Cool

That is very common.

It will be interesting to see what you find.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Rate this thread