You are not logged in.

greg73

Monday, June 5th 2017, 6:54pm

mv error, ice cube relay needed?

Hi,

I am the facilities director at a YMCA camp, I am running a 3 hp 240v pump from a Rainbird esp-me controller and I am getting an MV valve code. The relay will actuate without the pump hooked up to it, I am wondering if the pump pulls too much current for the controller to handle? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that an "ice cube" relay might be the solution, a relay for the relay, if you will. I think for the price (seems like around 10-15 bucks?) it is worth a shot, but I could use some pointers on hooking it up....I am thinking controller to the mini-relay, then mini-relay to the big pump relay? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated!

Greg

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 7:51am

What the pump does is not material. What the existing pump relay does is what matters. If it draws too much current (a lot of them do) for your controller, you need either a different pump control relay, or that "ice cube" intermediate relay.

greg73

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 1:22pm

Ok, I think I am on the right track, any advice on how to wire that up?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 5:01pm

This is where it gets tricky. The controller is protecting itself by refusing to feed a relay that overdraws the supply. If you want your workaround to be bulletproof, you need a second 24VAC plug-in transformer to supply the power for operating the old pump relay. With the extra transformer, everything becomes simple. Controller powers the coil of your "Ice-cube" relay, which sends the 24VAC from the new transformer to the old pump relay. No actual electrical connection exists between the new transformer and the old transformer, so you don't need any electrical smarts to make things work.

Both relay and transformer can be had for less than $20 total, including shipping, from the famous auction website.

Rate this thread