You are not logged in.

CityGuy

Monday, May 29th 2017, 6:24pm

Toro DDC-8 Controller On reset I get '05' on the LCD and controller will not respond to buttons

Hello everyone,
This is my first post.
I have volunteered to look after stuff at our lawn bowling club. My first issue is that I can't get the irrigation system to work. We have a Toro DDC-8 controller (model 53808?). I was asked to program it for the greens keeper. I first reset it as the instructions recommended. The system then rebooted and ended displaying '05' on the screen and no programming buttons will respond. I checked the 9v backup battery. It was at 7.75 volts so I replaced it. Still get '05' after reset. I opened the breaker to the 120v supply waited then closed it. Still get '05'. I removed the battery, opened the 120v breaker, reinstalled the 9v battery, then closed the 120v supply. Still get '05' and programming buttons on the controller still will not respond.
I have search the web and can't find any reference to an error code '05' for this controller.
Can anyone please suggest a solution to this problem?
Thanks, Glen...

mrfixit

Monday, May 29th 2017, 7:01pm

It sounds like the controller died. If you unplugged it and took out the back up battery and did a factory reset and you can't get the buttons to work then it sounds shot to me. The display should at least have the time of day on it.
Is it possible one of the buttons is stuck? < I just tossed that part out there. I've never seen exactly what you're describing.
I don't think you have a choice but to replace the controller.

CityGuy

Monday, May 29th 2017, 7:44pm

Toro DDC-8 Controller

Thanks for your reply, mrfixit.
I will check tomorrow to see if any buttons are stuck down. Will let you know what I find out.
Glen..

CityGuy

Tuesday, May 30th 2017, 1:04pm

Toro DDC - 8 Controller

I managed to get the controller to work this morning. At least the buttons worked and I was able to set up Program A.
After a lot of fiddling around, the controller reset properly after disconnecting the 9V battery, disconnecting the 120V power supply and waiting about 30 minutes, then reconnecting only the 9V battery and performing a reset. I input the program then activated the 120V supply and it still appears to be working although I haven't run the program yet.
Thanks for your help.
Glen...

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 30th 2017, 9:21pm

There might be a short on the number 5 valve.
Could be a bad solenoid. Could be bare wires touching.
If it happens again and says 5. That's what the deal is.

CityGuy

Wednesday, May 31st 2017, 9:22am

Toro DDC-8

Thanks again for your suggestions.
I had tested all the solenoid circuits. They were all about 35K ohms, so no shorts I assume.
I tested the program yesterday and it ran OK.
I used the Semi-Auto mode. All run times for 8 heads were set at 3 minutes, and I set the % to 10 to get a shorter test. I thought the heads would run for 18 seconds (.1x3x60), but they ran for about 60 seconds. Maybe there is a minimum run time?
I think I have the controller working OK now. Now I need to adjust the volume and rotation angle of the heads. Will start another thread for that.
Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Rate this thread