You are not logged in.

tpawlak

Monday, May 29th 2017, 10:14am

Help needed on replacing Hunter PGP Ultra Rotors

I need to replace several of the Hunter PGP Ultra Rotors on my sprinkler system that is approximately 7 years old. I went to the Sprinkler Warehouse and I am confused by about the check valve option to so could use I some help. The Rotors I am replacing have Black Caps with "Hunter PGP Ultra" on them but I do not know if they have a check valve installed. My yard is pretty flat but I do not know how to tell the difference. Is it OK to mix PGP Ultras with PGP Ultras w/ check valve and if so which should I order. Also is there a height difference. Not sure it matters as they are all on swing so a little height difference should matter but thought I better ask than
assume it doesn’t matter.
Any help would b e appreciated!

mrfixit

Monday, May 29th 2017, 12:58pm

No worries, they're the same height. If there's any difference it would be about 1/32 of an inch because of the rubber seal
If you don't have problems with low head drainage you don't need a check valve.
With the sprinklers in question you might be able to just unscrew them without digging. But with swing joints or marlex ells you need to be careful they don't turn on you while trying to install the new head. You can ruin the threads.
Or you could simply unscrew the innards leaving the body in the ground and replacing all the working parts.
Or just dig them up and replace the whole thing. Your call. Unscrewing them without digging can save a lot of time and effort.

tpawlak

Monday, May 29th 2017, 3:04pm

Appreciate the help!!!! I like the idea of replacing the insides. I just tried a couple of them and one of the tops unscrewed but the other tops are on very tight and the body started to unscrew so I stopped. Any advice on how to loosen the top so I don't have to take the body out as if I replace the units without digging won't I have to worry about dirt getting inside the pipe?

mrfixit

Monday, May 29th 2017, 8:26pm

I use two pair of large channellocks.

Rate this thread