You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Cootski

Starting Member

Monday, May 22nd 2017, 11:15pm

Orbit 57880 - Unable to run multiple zones concurrently

Hey there forums!

I am posting because I recently purchased a home with an Orbit 4 station timer and underground system. My issue is that I am unable to get all zones to run concurrently - either by timer or manually. When I set it up manually, I'm able to run each zone by itself (not all of them together).

Likewise, when I have all of the station timers set to the same time I am unable to get all four zones running concurrently. Actually - I'm unable to get anything but zone 1 running when it's set to automatic. (Meaning that the only way zones 2 - 4 run is if I do them by themselves, manually).

Very frustrated and I can't seem to figure out why it's operating this way. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 23rd 2017, 4:13am

No timer I've ever seen will do what you're asking. Why do you want to run all four valves at the same time?
You could try hooking all 4 wires together and see if it shorts out the timer.
I've seen people run 3 at once that way. I don't recommend it though.
You could probably run 2 and 2 with no problem.
If you program all the zones to run at the same time they'll run in sequence one at a time.

BackflowInspector

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 23rd 2017, 11:03am

Wow,
The zones are designed to operate with in hydraulic parameters. Its simple math.
Your water source could not handle all 4 zones operating at the same time.
That is a simple explanation of why they broke the total area covered into 4 zones.
If you think about it, If it could have been done in 1 zone (Why would they have done it in 4 zones)?

They did it in 4 zones because they had to. Due to the math involved.

If your meter allow 15 gallons at a given pressure of 60 PSI, Zone 1 is probably 10 to 12 GPM.
Lets add zone 1 GPM with Zone 2 GPM, now we are at 20GPM.
We have now exceed the supply source.

Does this make sense.

Sure I made some assumptions and your situation may be a little bit different, Excuse me for that.

But the concept is the same.

What is the issue with running the zones sequentially anyway?
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Rate this thread