You are not logged in.

shaneco

Unregistered

Sunday, May 21st 2017, 3:59pm

Expanding 7 Wire Strand Use

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a sprinkler controller or an added attachment to a controller that would allow the expansion of use of a 7 control wire strand bundle. With a 7 wire bundle I can control 6 valves using the conventional method of 1 wire acting as a common to all valves and then each of the 6 remaining wires being unique to each valve. Problem is I want to expand my sprinkler system without having to run additional wire from the current valve terminus to the controller. I've been thinking about this and it seems that one could expand the use of the 7 wire strand with the use of a controller that would control the sprinkler valves by a unique combination of 2 wires that service each valve instead of making 1 wire common to all valves. From my calculation I could expand the use of a 7 wire strand from 6 valves to 21 valves with just the controller supplying the unique combination of power to the 2 wires that service each valve I want to operate and no decoder necessary at the valves. In other words the following shows the combinations of wire use using the conventional method and an expanded use method:

Conventional Method = 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7

Expanded Use Mehtod = 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6, 2-7, 3-4, 3-5, 3-6, 3-7, 4-5, 4-6, 4-7, 5-6, 5-7, 6-7

The major drawback that I see is that it may be hard to operate more than 2 valves at once depending on which combination of wires are being used, but realistically operating 2 or more valves at once is probably going to reduce water pressure and something I don't do anyways.

Does anybody know of any additional problems this would present? Are there any products on the market that would allow the expanded use of 7 strand wire?

Thanks for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 21st 2017, 6:02pm

How many hundreds of feet of wire are you trying to save with this line of thought?

shaneco

Unregistered

Sunday, May 21st 2017, 11:10pm

From the current valves to the controller I would estimate about 50 feet. I ran the original 7 wire bundle in 1/2 inch gray pvc wire conduit and would like to keep it that way. Adding 2 more 7 wire bundles to a 1/2 inch conduit would not work I don't think. So, in order to do that I would have to replace the 1/2 inch with 3/4 inch, go through landscaping that is more filled in now, and under a sidewalk. With the expansion the furthest valve would probably be about 250 feet away from the controller. The biggest issue is trying to avoid the hassle of laying new wire out to the current valves.

mrfixit

Monday, May 22nd 2017, 4:57am

How about pulling that 7 strand wire out and running a 25 conductor wire through there.
I don't have a clue if it would fit inside the 1/2" pipe or not.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 22nd 2017, 7:50am

For the money and time involved in avoiding the addition of extra wire for your project, you could hire someone to install a larger conduit.

It isn't that no possible way exists to achieve what you ask for, it's that there's no money to be had by supplying the means to your end.

Obviously, there is "2-wire" sprinkler system control, but that costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars you might better apply elsewhere.