You are not logged in.


New Member


Sunday, August 14th 2016, 5:24pm

underground pipe leak - what is this thing?

have an underground leak in my sprinkler pipes, tracked it down to the
highlighted area. Ok, maybe stupid question, what is the big item shown?
Is that just a compression fitting? Can I just cut off both ends
and replace it with something similar to this. I prefer not to have to
dig back 6 feet just so I can bend up pvc pipe ends to put in a pvc coupling to fix.
Need to be able to fix it inline, something to place inline and then expand over the ends, is what what the compression
fitting (or similar) allows me to do?




Posts: 2,361

Location: USA


Monday, August 15th 2016, 4:00am

That's a telescoping coupling or what's commonly known as a slip-fix.
I've never seen one crack where you're pointing. Come to think of it I've never even seen a cracked one. Unusual. Then again I don't live where it freezes. Maybe you do.
It looks a little fishy at the end of it. Almost like the pipe isn't glued in all the way or it slipped out or it kind of looks like the end of another slip fix.
Maybe it's not cracked and it just needs to be tightened. It screws together right there. There's an o-ring inside. Maybe tighten it up.

But to answer your question. Yep you can just cut it out and redo it with whatver you're comfortable with. Maybe another siip-fix. They're very reliable.


New Member


Tuesday, August 16th 2016, 9:41pm

thank you Mr. Fix It! I went to Lowes and recognized it. I have cut it out and plan to replace it. May end up using another one since I need something that can adjust inline.

Thanks again,

Similar threads

Rate this thread