You are not logged in.

Sunday, June 26th 2016, 11:45am

2 out of 3 Hunter I-20 rotaries in zone don't pop up

These two malfunctioning rotaries just create puddles. Could this be a pressure issue or a problem with the rotaries? How do I begin to troubleshoot?

Saturday, July 9th 2016, 3:11pm

Update: 2 out of 3 Hunter I-20 rotaries in zone don't pop up

During the installation of a cesspool last fall some of the PE tubing in this zone was broken and then repaired. When I reactivated the system last month, I had a problem with 2 rotaries not popping up and 1 not retracting. When I dug them up I found that they were loaded with pebbles which must have gotten into the tubing when it was being repaired. I took them apart cleaned them out and replaced them. Now they all pop up and retract, but 2 are leaking heavily from under the body cap and the third is weeping from a little hole in the riser. I've taken them apart twice and flushed the lines - the seals look OK and they are free of grit, but they are still leaking. Is there anything else that can be done to repair these, or is it time to replace them? Thanks for your help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 9th 2016, 5:42pm

Flush the lines out completely, and that probably means cutting them at the fittings so a bare pipe can run clear, followed by you flushing out the next section in line, and so on.

By the way, it is a very big no-no to have a sprinkler pipe running through a septic field by design. At this point, you need to have proper backflow prevention in the system. What is your backflow preventer?

Saturday, July 9th 2016, 8:34pm

Thanks for the advice Wet Boots! I have three heads in the zone which descend in elevation to the street. How would I flush a section at a time, and can I do this without cutting the fittings (I'm a newbie)? Do you think the rotors should be replaced?

I have a DCV backflow preventer on the sprinkler line.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 10th 2016, 9:21am

Two things.

1) You need to add toxic-rated backflow prevention to the supply plumbing. This is most easily done with a Pressure Vacuum Breaker located at least a foot higher than the highest sprinkler head or pipe on the system. Don't slack off on this, because it's drinking water that's being piped through a septic field, and the source needs genuine bet-the-ranch-on-it protection.

2) Flushing the lines completely probably doesn't happen unless you are willing to cut the lines and put the pieces back together with extra pipe and couplings as needed.

Rate this thread