You are not logged in.

Murexalabaster

Unregistered

Sunday, June 26th 2016, 10:15pm

Lawn booster installation

Hey, I need to in stall a flotec booster pump to run my lawn irrigation system. The question I have is what to do to prevent negative pressure on water entering home. I will install the pump intake close to the meter and install outlet before the back flow preventer valve . So the problem is, since the irrigation feed pipe I installed is off the the main water supply line to the house what do I do to prevent the pump from sucking all the water out of the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 26th 2016, 10:50pm

there is probably no help for you short of putting the entire house on the booster system including a pressure tank - a big pressure tank

If you had a solidly defined system plan, and the correct (that is to say, small) booster pump, you might avoid negative pressures, but it could be a near thing.

Canada_Guy

Monday, July 4th 2016, 10:37am

Maybe install a check valve in line with the house to prevent pulling water out of the house. If you have a gas water heater, you would need an expansion tank (somewhere for the expanding water to go as it's heated).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 4th 2016, 4:48pm

Something to remember on any booster system for house plumbing is that the pump can create the above-mentioned negative pressure (in other words, a vacuum) in the suction side plumbing. This can kill the water pressure in the house. Open a faucet and it sucks air instead of delivering water. Even if you place the entire house on the booster setup, the negative pressure can exist in the supply line from street to house. If so, that raises the small, but real, possibility of sucking in ground water from a leak in that street-to-house pipe.

All the above is why you tread warily when adding a booster pump to the house plumbing.