You are not logged in.

frankfontana

Starting Member

Tuesday, June 28th 2016, 1:28pm

Sprinkler valve causing humming in pipes in house

I have an automatic sprinkler system with 8 zones. 7 of the zones are fine, however, when one of the zones turns on a loud humming noise starts in the house. You can hear it outside however it's much louder inside the house.

Thinking this was a bad solenoid, I replaced the solenoid on the sprinkler valve. This didn't fix the problem.

With the sprinkler on, I then tried playing with the adjustment knob (manual flow control) on the top of the sprinkler valve. With the knob fully turned to the right the humming kept going. As I loosened the knob a bit the humming stopped, but water started to leak out of the knob on top. As a new / naive sprinkler guy I'm not really sure what that valve does when the automatic sprinkler is on.

Ideally I can end up with a situation without humming AND without water leaking from the valve.

Any idea re what's going on with the valve and if there's any way to stop the humming without leaking water?

Thank you!

Frank

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 28th 2016, 5:12pm

Sounds like a diaphragm issue. I recently had a similar problem with an old HydroRain valve. It would hum when it ran but if you opened the bleed it would stop. I don't bother repairing old valves like that so I just replaced it. Problem solved.

Rate this thread