You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

coloncm

Sunday, June 5th 2016, 1:55pm

Orbit inline valve working backwards

Greetings!

I have a similar situation to the link here . I simply went on to replace the old, rusted valve
because I thought it got stuck in open
position after its last run. I replaced it with an Orbit inline valve , but then it began working backwards in
on/off operations. ?(

My system is 12-volt, so I tried switching to another slot in the Orbit Sprinkler
Controller, model #57012
. Lo and behold, the same valve continued acting
the same way in that it stopped when turned on and opened when turned off, so it can't the slot. :thumbdown:

I tried using the new valve's manual on/off bypass lever to turn it off so I can at least irrigate other stations while having that station run as well (because it gets to the off position and runs as opened). The lever seems awfully tight to get it to turn 1/4 turn at off, and it still wouldn't shut it off. Could something be wrong with whatever sprinkler control that's connected to the control valves? I have no idea where that's at, but I know it has a circuit break slot. Why wouldn't the on/off lever keep the valve closed? ;(

Thanks for any hints or advice in advanced.

mrfixit

Sunday, June 5th 2016, 5:33pm

Does the vavle shut off when you disconnect the wire? Yes it's the controller. No there's something wrong with the valve.

Maybe you installed it backwards. Maybe there's debris inside the valve. Maybe there's debris inside the solenoid. Maybe the plunger's missing. Could be a factory defective diaphragm.

coloncm

Sunday, June 5th 2016, 6:39pm

The valve does not shut off when I disconnect the wire. I've replaced two valves: The Orbit I mentioned, and now an Rainbird inline valve , and both behave exactly alike right out of the box. So, it can't the controller . Noticed that I have switched the valve to another position and it behaved the exact same way, while the other valve behaved as expected at the station that the incriminating valve was. When water and power is on, I have to keep at manual on in order for it to stop running.

What's mind-boggling: how could there be something identically wrong with two newly purchased valves from two different vendors? I doubt debris is the cause of it given it occurred to two brand-new valves and right out of the gate. I appreciate the boiler-plate answers of what to look for, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten past those.

Installed backwards? As in opposite direction of water flow? I'm pretty sure I did but, perhaps, I ought to try reversing it to see if that makes a difference.

coloncm

Sunday, June 5th 2016, 7:46pm

Well, I'll be --

You mean to tell me that I installed the valve backwards!?!?! How does that happens? Who would've thought that the water flow direction affects those valves in such fashion? Do you believe that not even Orbit or Rain-bird sites mentions the importance of this? The Rain-bird valve doesn't even have it marked on the valve itself. I am flabbergasted! :wacko:

Well, mrfixit , turns out that one of your boiler-plate answers did the trick. I told you I appreciated them! :rolleyes:

Put an APB out on this! Thanks a bunch!! :thumbsup:

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 6th 2016, 7:24am

RE: Orbit inline valve working backwards

...Who would've thought that the water flow direction affects those valves in such fashion?....
for one, the manufacturers who include a flow direction arrow(s) on the body of the valve :D

coloncm

Tuesday, June 7th 2016, 7:26pm

RE: RE: Orbit inline valve working backwards

...Who would've thought that the water flow direction affects those valves in such fashion?....
for one, the manufacturers who include a flow direction arrow(s) on the body of the valve :D
Don't count Rain-bird on that list. :sleeping:

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 8th 2016, 12:12am

If you click on the rainbird link that you provided. Rainbird inline valve Then watch the video on that page. Freeze it at 30 seconds and I think you just might see the flow direction on the valve.

coloncm

Tuesday, June 14th 2016, 7:52pm

If you click on the rainbird link that you provided. Rainbird inline valve Then watch the video on that page. Freeze it at 30 seconds and I think you just might see the flow direction on the valve.
Duly noted, thanks for hint. Next time, I'll remember to watch video in full screen to note such details rather than read the actual instructions that come with the parts (because it's not mentioned there). :thumbdown: