You are not logged in.

bshanley

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 8:03pm

Replacement Rotor Won't Screw On

My irrigation system is a patchwork of many different rotors of various ages, so I decided to replace them all with Rainbird 5000s. They have 3/4" connections. A golf course guy showed me how to loosen the old rotor and remove it without digging everything up. I followed that procedure on rotor #1 and it seemed to work. On rotor #2, I just can't get the replacement to seat and thread. There's even some wiggle room in the hole, as the old rotor was fatter. I've tried two, and I'm afraid I may be damaging the threads on the new ones, though it's hard to tell. Am I doing something wrong? All advice welcomed! Thanks.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 12:58am

Some rotors are tapered at the bottom. Some are flat. If you try to screw a flat bottomed rotor into a hole where there was a pointy ended rotor then the new rotor will just spin and not catch. You'll have to dig it all the way up.

bshanley

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 3:14am

Thanks for the reply, mrfixit. Both rotors are flatbottomed, and look the same to me, the Rainbird is just a little thinner. The older is "K' brand.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 4:46am

It's time to dig one up and see why it wont screw on.

Are the nipples galvanized steel?

Maybe some dirt fell into the hole.

I replace heads the way you're doing it when I can. It's way easier. On occasion I'll have a problem such as yours when There are marlex ells down in there. Or a swing joint. Dig one up and see.

Rate this thread