You are not logged in.

Xerlic

Starting Member

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 11:13am

Water leaking from backflow preventer intake joint

Hi all,

I moved into my house a little over a year ago. It came with a sprinkler system that the previous owners never used. I know it definitely needs repairs since I opened the valves to the backflow preventer last year and this one spot in my yard turned into a lake. I closed the valves at the backflow preventer and put it on my to-do list of repairs since moving in, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Over the winter, I turned the water supply off to the outside spigots and sprinkler. Come this spring, I turned the water back on in order to use the front yard spigot, and noticed that there was a leak at the intake joint of the backflow preventer. Here's a picture with the area leaking circled in black.

I'm just curious what is the recommended way to fix this leak is. I have no problem cutting and replacing PVC pipe, but I want to make sure that will fix the problem since I'm not sure if the problem is with the pipe or the backflow preventer itself. Thanks for the help.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Friday, May 27th 2016, 3:31pm

If you shut the valve just above the joint does it leak? If it does it could only be coming from the joint or the packing nut. To be sure just wrap a dry cloth around the valve. If you see water around the joint but the cloth stays dry, it is the joint leaking. It looks like you have a union after the backflow so the easiest thing to do would be to disconnect it there and spin the entire backflow off. Check the fitting for breaks and if it looks good wrap it with 6 or so wrappings of thread seal tape, reinstall the backflow and re-check for leaks.

Rate this thread