You are not logged in.

Curare

Saturday, November 14th 2015, 1:18pm

Share common wire across 2 timers

My current setup is 2 irrigation timers. One for the back of the house, one for the front. I've purchased a new timer because one of them broke that will support more valves but it doesn't have quite enough to merge all of them onto one timer. Consequently, i want to leave some currently unused valves on the old timer and move some of the other ones to the new timer. My question is can I share a common wire between 2 timers and if so, how would I do so?

For example - Setup Today
Timer 1: F1, F2, F3 valves (all wrapped up in its own irrigation wire with it's own common wire leading to timer 1)
Timer 2: B1, B2, B3 valves (all wrapped up in its own irrigation wire with it's own common wire leading to timer 2)

Intended setup:
Timer 1: F1, F2, B1, B2 (B1, B2, and B3 currently share a common wire so it would have to link to both timer 1 and 2)
Timer 2: B3

Is this possible and if so how? I'm thinking most simple is just splice the common wire from the back irrigation wiring and link it to both timers so timer 1 will have a common wire from the front irrigation wiring as well as the back irrigation wiring but I have no idea of the consequences of doing so.

Sorry if i'm not using proper terminology and thanks in advance.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 15th 2015, 8:20am

If you employ a single transformer to feed the two controllers, it should work okay.

Curare

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 9:59am

Share common wire across 2 timers

Are you referring to something similar to the product link below? I'm trying to visualize how to set this up. Thanks!
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/FX-Landscape-Lighting-Transformer-p/229350.htm

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 18th 2015, 6:56pm

You went and bought the controller, so go ahead and try your idea. The worst that happens is that it won't work. If you want a sure thing, you buy the single controller that can handle the entire property.

Rate this thread