You are not logged in.

aerodan1

Wednesday, October 14th 2015, 3:20pm

Winterization blowout

Hi,

Given the potential for a hard freeze this weekend in Massachusetts and given that the poly pipes running underground are only a few inches deep in spots due to rocks underground or line crossing, I scheduled an irrigation co. to come out on Friday afternoon to blow out the system even though I had hoped to keep tinkering with it for at least another week.

The issue is one of the 10 zone valves won't open unless I open the bleeder screw. Since this option won't be available to open the valve when blowing air through the lines, I will try to fix it before then. The solenoid is just stuck - if I try to manually turn it I can't, and I don't want to put too much pressure on it either. The solenoid has been this way since I first turned the water on a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

Also, I haven't been able to figure out the wiring issues yet, so I manually operate all the zones (i.e. turning on the solenoids by hand). I realize I need to be careful with compressed air in the pipes when turning valves on / off because of possible debris flying out of the heads, but any other considerations here? Thanks much,

Dan

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 14th 2015, 7:43pm

You would have been just fine draining above-ground plumbing. Nothing underground is in play this month.

You really aren't doing a blowout service any favors by presenting them with a malfunctioning system.

aerodan1

Wednesday, October 14th 2015, 9:01pm

Thanks for the follow up. The companies in my area said they regularly winterize sprinkler systems until the end of November every year, and yes I figured the backflow was probably most in danger from what I've read. I guess I'm being a little overly conservative, but when I heard the weather people talking about potential for a hard freeze and knowing a few of the pipes are very shallow I didn't like that.

Trust me I'd MUCH rather keep working on the system and having it available and not have the irrigation co. come out the way it is...I did tell the scheduler about those two issues so she at least noted them. I could probably reschedule tomorrow. I figured I would work on it tonight after getting home from work to see what I can do.

You would have been just fine draining above-ground plumbing. Nothing underground is in play this month.

You really aren't doing a blowout service any favors by presenting them with a malfunctioning system.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "aerodan1" (Oct 14th 2015, 9:09pm)

aerodan1

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 12:06am

Update: I fixed the solenoid that was stuck (actually worked just fine I think I was reluctant to give it a little torque when I first started the system up).

I also was able to get 8 / 10 zones to turn on via the controller. I will post on that on a different thread, thanks.

aerodan1

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 11:03am

I took your advice and rescheduled the blowout for October 28th. I will drain everything above ground this weekend - downstream of the PVB I will drain the bleeder on the master valve so that all the water above ground drains well.

My PVB has union connections so I could take it off at night this weekend and bring inside if I wanted. Wondering if I should still try to run some water through the pipes during the daytime hours or just shut if off for the whole weekend? Thanks

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 3:53pm

If you've turned the water off, opened a drain before the backflow, opened the test cocks and opened the master valve bleed, it really isn't necessary to take the backflow off. Pipes below ground should be fine for the weekend.

aerodan1

Friday, October 16th 2015, 11:54pm

Great, sounds like a plan to get through the cold nights ahead. Thank you much.
If you've turned the water off, opened a drain before the backflow, opened the test cocks and opened the master valve bleed, it really isn't necessary to take the backflow off. Pipes below ground should be fine for the weekend.

Rate this thread