You are not logged in.

Ojaime

Unregistered

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 8:34pm

Compression fittings

Hello all,

I recently finish installing my irrigation system and has been working flawlessly for the past three weeks until today when I noticed water coming up from the ground near my back flow preventer.

After digging, I noticed my compression tee that splits my irrigation main, was leaking water from one end. The fitting was tight, but water was gushing out. So, to fix this, I opted for a glue connection instead of a compression fitting.

Now my biggest concern is that I have a compression fitting on my water main where it splits to my irrigation main. I'm afraid that fitting will fail on me as well, so I want to also change that fitting with a glue type fitting. My water main is 1.25" and I have in hand a 1.5" slide repair coupler that I can use in conjunction with a glue type Tee and reducing fittings to adapt to my water main; however, I'm wondering if adding a slightly bigger coupler to my water main would affect water pressure or anything else?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 9:54am

You don't use slide repair couplers on any continuously-pressurized plumbing. If you cut into a shallow PVC line that runs from a curbside water meter to supply the system, you could rebuild the cut-in plumbing with schedule 40 pipe and fittings, along with 3 PVC unions, one for each leg of the connection tee.