You are not logged in.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 17th 2002, 2:55am

Sorry guys, in the process of relocating the home and business.....

When you cut into the mainline to solder the tee, cut only what is needed to get the tee into the line. Usually I measure that by holding the tee up to the pipe and marking the spot where the pipe will bottom out on both sides of the tee. You can see where the socked ends by the bulge on the tee. If you have some play in the pipe you can just force the tee into place. If not you will need to use a 'SLIDER' coupling and a length of pipe. A slider coupling is a 3/4 inch copper coupling without stops. It will allow you to slide it all the way down, thereby installing the tee and length of pipe. You may need to use a slider on top and on the bottom if there is absolutely no give in the existing pipe. Usually though there is some give.

As for not using the hose bibb: The hose bibb is hydraulically challenged! You will get very little flow through a hose bibb. Also the threads on the hose bibb (male ones where water comes out!) are hose threads and there aren't very many of them. When you install your adapter and a 45 degree elbow of some sort and then a valve of some sort....blah blah blah....you have essentially reduced this hose bibb to about 4-6 gallons of water per minute...MAXIMUM. This will limit your design to very small zones. This could bump the price of your system way up. Not to mention, once you install the PVB on top of all that mess, you could take a picture and send it in to the "new Rube Goldberg" coffee table picture book.

Good luck soldering and remember, take the extra time to clean and flux the copper fittings very good and get ALL THE WATER out of the line before soldering it will save major frustrations. Use 1/4 inch poly tubing as a siphon to get the water out of the lower pipe!!

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

DJORaziel

Monday, April 22nd 2002, 10:51am

THanks for all the help. I actually did this stuff before you replied but i did what ya said.

The copper T and the 3/4" female adapter i have is soldered and working great. the 3/4" pvc elbow i screwed into the copper is leaking a TAD, i just see small drops on the connection, but it's not like FLOWING. i got all the other assembly done too, hopefully i did it good enough :( it looks sort of crappy but that's what i get for doing it myself.

and holy CRUD, it took my father and I 8 hrs to get the friggin pc under the driveway.

mistake #1, used 3/4" sch 200 pvc instead of 1" or 3/4" schedule 40.
mistake #2, wanted to go under the driveway to begin with.
mistake #3, live in florida :) can we say SMUD :) (sandy mud for those floridaically challenged)

man. then the trenching took the whole second day!.

mistake #1, square shovel :)
mistake #2, didn't rent a trencher
mistake #3, didn't get some sucker to trench for me

i DID find out that a lawn edger does a GREAT job cutting the grass 1-2 inches though :) we did that on either side of the pvc and then just shoveled up ONE side of the trench and pulled the grass over, was SOOOO much easier then shoveling.

but man, 2 days, and all i got was the main assembly done and the pipe trenched and laid out, it's not even glued yet ;(

BAH

Rate this thread