You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Active Member

Posts: 29

Location: Longview, Texas


Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 9:58pm

Pipe Fittings Question

Hi Folks,

I'm having a bit of a problem finding the right fitting. Hoping someone here might be able to help or make a suggestion to an alternative or tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

I'm using 1" poly pipe for my laterals. At a few "end" of the laterals, I need a sprinkler head. I am using MP Rotators with with 40 PSI pressure regulating body with check valve and y'all know it is 1/2 FPT. So, I will be using a length of 1/2" funny pipe from the 1" lateral to the sprinkler body.

So, the problem I am having is finding the right part for adapting from 1" poly to 1/2 funny pipe at the end of the 1 inch Poly pipe.

Plan A..... I ordered 1 inch to 1/2 Poly reducers.. p/n 1429-130...with all the rest of my sprinkler stuff. Now you know what I'm gonna say, don't ya?

The 1/2 barb of the 1x 1/2 reducer is way too big to fit the funny pipe! It is noticeably larger than all of the other funny pipe fittings in my order. Ugh! It wont go in without stretching the heck out of it and using dishwashing liquid.

I'm afraid that in the long run, this will fail. I just dont know, but it don't seem right and I don't want to go ahead and risk it and end up with leaks or broken funny pipe all over the place.

I think I know what I did wrong. quite a difference in the I.D of funny pipe and 1/2 Poly. Right? Oops! My adapter is made to fit the Poly but not funny pipe. I'm a rookie and know it ... lesson learned and accepted. I am sure there will be more in the next 2 or 3 weeks. ;( If this is the worst oops I make, I will be happy!

Anyways.. I will be hanged if I can find anywhere, a 1" Poly to 1/2 funny pipe barbed fitting. so on the Plan B.

Plan B.... I could use 1x1x1/2 Poly to funny pipe Tee (SW1401-129) at the end of the line, and plug the unused 1" end of the Tee. (I have plenty of these T's to do that) But guess what? I'll be hanged if I find anything such as a 1" poly pipe barbed plug either. Go to Plan C.

Plan C.... Ask the professionals. How is the best way to connect my 1"
Poly pipe to the 1/2 funny pipe at the end of the 1 inch line?

Plan D....If all else fails, I could do it the old school way like my Dad and use a bolt and a hose clamp as a plug... but I will leave that for the last option.

I will shut up now. I've a habit of rambling.

I appreciate any suggestion y'all might have.



Supreme Member

Posts: 5,287

Location: Metro NYC


Wednesday, March 20th 2013, 1:52pm

the poly pipe used in sprinkler systems is made in sizes that match the IPS standards (IP = Iron Pipe) which measure a bit oversize - swing pipe is a latecomer on the scene, and isn't sized like standard poly tubing - in order to call it something, it is designated as 3/8 by the fittings manufacturers

You therefore look for an insert coupling sized 1 x 3/8 to connect the swing pipe to 1-inch poly - part number 1429-129


Active Member

Posts: 29

Location: Longview, Texas


Wednesday, March 20th 2013, 5:12pm

Hi Wet Boots,

I read last night about the the different ID's of 1/2 poly, but I didn't know the swing pipe was sized closer to 3/8 prior to ordering it. Thanks for telling me that. There no substitute for experience.

If I ever do this again, I will know better next time.

Just like you said, the 1429-129 is exactly what I need. I thought I had looked at it all, but I guess not. I will get them on order right away.

I appreciate you taking a bit of time out of your day to help me.

Good luck to you,


Rate this thread