You are not logged in.

srockey

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 7:46pm

Broken pvc pipe repair

I have a 3/4 pvc pipe that broke right where it connects to the valve. What options do I have to repair the break? Will I need a new valve?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve in Central Florida

In the link to a picture of my problem, the valve can be seen in the lower left, the crack runs about 6 inches right up to the crack.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 9:11pm

Yes, you will need a new valve, a 1"to 3/4 Reducer bushing, maybe a 1" coupling, maybe a 3/4 coupling, some 3/4 pipe, some primer/and pvc glue/cement, some silicone filled wire nuts, wire cutters, a pvc cutter. I am tired just typing about it.

It should be an easier repair, just to it.

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 8:25am

One thing Todd forgot to mention: allow plenty of time.
You might consider getting a valve that has threaded connections for your replacement. In THEORY it will make any future replacement easier. In theory.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 1:55pm

Hopefully they left you enough pipe on the other side of the valve so you can cut it off. It would be a bummer if you had to rebuild the whole manifold just to change a valve.
They do make a tool that will drill out the pvc pipe. It's not cheap but does work. I paid about 40 dollars for mine. I've only needed it three or four times in the 10 years I've owned it. But it saved about 6 hours work since I didn't have to rebuild the manifold.
Another time I was able to clean out a fitting two feet under a cement patio and reglue it.

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 3:27pm

mrfixit,
can you put a link to the tool?
Haven't seen it.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 5:08pm

Scroll down to the fitting saver. Notice how the cut pvc debris comes out. No saw dust left behind. It's a pretty amazing tool.

Fitting Saver

P.S. You don't have to buy a whole kit. They sell them individually. 1/2, 3/4 and 1".

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Apr 26th 2012, 5:16pm)

Friday, April 27th 2012, 8:25am

Well, that just went on my 'must get' list.
Thanks.

Rate this thread