You are not logged in.

Jack N

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 7:22pm

Switching brands

I've gotten tired of fiddling with, and replacing the Toro Super 700 heads in my system so I've decided to switch to a different brand. I'll be replacing them as they break down - I currently have 3 heads that need replacing. I've decided to use the Hunter I-20. It looks like this should be a step up in both durability and user-friendliness. I have two questions. 1) Is the optional stainless steel covering on the pop-up worth the extra few dollars, or is it there mainly for looks? The Hunter advertising claims that it increases seal life. 2) A check valve comes standard and I'm wondering if it affects the performance at the nozzle. Would I be better off ordering them without the check valve? My yard is reasonably flat so I really don't see any advantage to having them if it affects performance.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 8:58pm

go plastic, no check valve.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Jack N

Friday, August 20th 2010, 1:05am

Ok. Why the plastic over the stainless?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 20th 2010, 7:43am

Super700 heads are shorter than currently popular heads, so replacing a 700 with, say, a PGP, involves more work. Maybe a lot more work.

Jack N

Friday, August 20th 2010, 12:27pm

That's ok. I planned on installing swing joints any way so I can go to the 6" I-20.

Do you prefer plastic over stainless as well? Why or why not?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 11:29am

As a sprinkler contractor, i love plastic. i have not specified stainless unless a landscape architects insists on it. I have never said to my self, "I should have gone Stainless". Extra dollars for 0 return on extra cost. Stainless does not affect the distribution of water. I am more concerned with hydraulic's, zoning, and scheduling.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Jack N

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 7:18am

Ok. Thanks.

Rate this thread