You are not logged in.

0Ni0N

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 7:58am

woke up to hammering / oscillating pipes

I woke up early this morning to repeated hammering (oscillating?) of my 1994 home's copper pipes. Coincidentally, this is about the time the sprinkler system finished. I had to turn off the water supply to the house to get it to stop. Sprinkler system is 2 yrs old and has an RPZ installed. This has never happened before. Any ideas? Do I need to add a water hammer arrest device to the supply line for the sprinkler system? Before I do anything, I will run the sprinkler system again to try to get it to happen again.

Thanks.

0Ni0N

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 8:36am

Observe the RPZ device when the watering is finished.

0Ni0N

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 9:29am

woke up to hammering / oscillating pipes

RPZ emits a little water from bottom port during system operation. The ground underneath it is usually a little wet, nothing too major. It was the same this morning.

0Ni0N

mrfixit

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 1:39pm

Water hammer can be a major pain in the you know what. Sometimes it's simple to figure others it's a nightmare. All I know is the water hammer arrestors I've installed didn't do a dang bit of good. I've only installed two though because they didn't work.

I'd listen for hammering around the valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 30th 2010, 11:04am

If the RPZ isn't the source of the hammer, then the zone valves come next. Throttle down the flow controls.

Percy

Tuesday, May 4th 2010, 5:42am

It could be air in the pipes or even an under-sized water meter, especially if it is a steady thumping at an even pace.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 4th 2010, 8:21pm

Find out which zones are constantly making the sound. Usually it will be
always 1 or 2 of the valves and maybe the master valve too if there is
one. Find and locate these valves and change the diaphragms.

I
know it is too easy to make sense, just do it.

Dan
hi.todd
:thumbsup: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: