You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


New Member


Sunday, February 21st 2010, 12:21pm

Broken Bleed Screw stem stuck in valve

Hello everyone – new to the forum. I’m in the process of a yard remodel which involved moving the control valves to a new location. In order to pressure test each of the branches I decided to cap each line after the control valve and use the bleed screw to manually pressurize the system. One of them would not turn off and I did not realize the correct procedure which was to open the valve and clean any debris on or around the diaphragm – I just tightened it further and ended up breaking the head off the screw leaving the stem inside.

I’ve ordered a replacement screw set from Lawn Genie but I need to remove the broken piece of the screw stuck in the bore. Is drilling the best way to remove this? I’ve never had to drill out a plastic thing like this and I’m not sure if the plastic might melt and cause a bigger problem.



Posts: 2,392

Location: USA


Sunday, February 21st 2010, 2:23pm

Here's three options for you.

1. Drill a small hole, remove with small screw extractor. You must be careful doing this. If you mess up the threads at all the new screw will leak.

2. Replace the bonnet of the valve or replace the whole valve. You could buy a new valve and swap out all the parts.

3. Do nothing. The valve will work just fine with that screw broke off. You just wont be able to turn it on manually with the bleeder screw. Try unscrewing the solenoid slowly until the valve comes on.


New Member


Sunday, February 21st 2010, 2:54pm

Thanks for the reply. Option 3 is not possible as it seems like it has not been screwed back on fully. Some debris must have got caught in the threads (I guess that must have been the original problem). So even after I disassmebled and cleaned everything out and reassmbled it still runs (without the solenoid activating as I still have not connected up the timer).

I guess I will try option 1 follwoed by option 2.

Similar threads

Rate this thread