You are not logged in.


New Member


Sunday, July 5th 2009, 8:59pm

How to replace a valve T


Actually I know what is wrong. . . .but here goes. . .

I noticed a growing pool of water near my valve cluster on a PVC 3/4" 5-valve above ground anti-siphon sprinkler system. After digging down to the PVC a large root had created a crack in the PVC, so it appears I will have to repalce the "T" that conects the water line to the valve. Got the root out no problem, but now a more sinister prolem exists. . . .

The fool that orginally installed the sytem put all the valves very close togeteher. There is no give in the PVC so I don't know how to replace the "T." So I can't get one of those handy expanding replacement fittings since ther is no room. I don't really want to dig out all my valves. HELP!!

Is there a good way to get through this issue?? Thanks.

Chico, CA



Posts: 1,741

Location: USA


Monday, July 6th 2009, 2:53am

New manifold

I wouldn't go so far as to call the guy who installed your valves a fool. Most manifolds are built with the tees fairly close together. It may be possible to jerry rig your manifold but I can't tell without a picture. I highly recommend you rebuild the entire manifold. Use the old manifold as a template. Make the new one above ground then install the whole thing all at once.


Supreme Member

Posts: 4,814

Location: Metro NYC


Monday, July 6th 2009, 11:34am

In general, cracked manifolds from non-freeze-related causes are very uncommon. Lucky you. This is why you don't see them designed and constructed to allow piecemeal repairs.


New Member


Monday, July 6th 2009, 12:10pm

Well that isn't good news. . . .but thanks.

I'll try to get a picture. Could I maybe use some flexi-pipe (polyethylene???) to solve this problem.

I hate having cottonwoods in my backyard!!


Supreme Member

Posts: 4,814

Location: Metro NYC


Tuesday, July 7th 2009, 7:17pm

Pros rebuild this stuff on a regular basis, without anything more special than unions.

Similar threads

Rate this thread