You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 6:14pm

Replacing a Hunter Flow control valve

I have an in line flow control valve. The pipes are threaded into both sides of the valve. The threaded adapter appears to be glued to the pipe.....

Is there a trick to replacing the valve short of cutting the pvc pipe, then gluing them back ?

I have an older system, so i cant find the guts to just replace that part.....


Advanced Member

Posts: 88

Location: Seattle Area


Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 8:20pm

An Idea

I know of no other way than cutting at least one of the pipes near the threaded coupling. Without seeing it, here is my best guess. Turn off and drain the system. Cut the pipe emerging from the lateral (sprayer) side of the valve. Now you can carefully unscrew the old valve and cut off coupling, leaving the treaded coupling on the main line intact. Screw in a replacement valve, with a new threaded coupling already attached to the new valve on the down stream side. If you can not free up enough flexibility in the old pipe to insert it using a coupling, obtain a slip-fix, and follow the instructions, or if space allows, attach new treaded coupler to old pipe using 2 to 4 els. If your valve is in line on the main (a master valve, and pressurized on both sides, Using el's is probably the best method. I do not use slip fixes on pressurized lines, only downstream of the valve. Again, as space allows, you can cut both sides to the threaded couplings, clean the pipe, and insert a new valve with treaded couplings on bot sides. Glye the upstream on to the mainline, and fabricate the downstream connection. Always use teflon tape on threads- 4 to 5 turns

Hope that helps, if not write back. Jeff



Posts: 2,319

Location: USA


Thursday, August 21st 2008, 1:10am


I don't know which valve you have but it seems like you should be able to find parts for it. Did you try an irrigation supply house such as Ewing or John Deere? Then again sometimes just replacing an old valve is the better option.


Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 5:35pm

final solution applied...

I took lowvolumejeffs idea with a modification, I dug up enough pipe to allow some flexibility. I cut the pipe about 6" down stream from the valve. Then unthreaded the valve from the in flow pipe. I installed the new valve and threaded the out flow piece back on (piece that was cut), I then bought a PVC connector and removed the ridge in the middle of the connector - this took some work. I cleaned the pipes and prepped them for gluing. Then slide the connector all the way on one pipe - enough that that 1" was sticking out. I then applied glue to that end and the end of the pipe I was joining. I then quickly slide the connector so it was centered between the two pipes.

thanks again for the suggestions...again trick was modifying the connector and making sure it slide easily.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,292

Location: Metro NYC


Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 9:07pm

Uhhh, you know they make PVC unions, don't you?

Rate this thread