You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 2561 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 5 posts

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 9:53am

by Wet_Boots

That's probably a well point, to feed an above-ground pump. No pump on this planet will lift water 35 feet. 25 feet would be about as much as you could ever hope for. No problem, because well points are always set a bit deeper than the actual level of the water table.

What you do, is to set up a pump, with a shutoff valve on the discharge.You have a check valve on the inlet. All connections on the suction side have to be perfectly sealed and air-tight. Once it's primed, the shut-off on the discharge side is slowly opened. The odds are good that beyond a certain amount of water flowing, the pump will make a racket like there's gravel in it. That is cavitation. You must make your system consume less water than the amount that would cause cavitation.

In Florida, water tables can drop, and yesteryear's well point might not perform as well this year, making it necessary to modify the sprinkler system.

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 8:38am

by flipperscr83

1 1/4" at the top coming out of the ground. Not sure what you mean by a well point. :(

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 9:01am

by Wet_Boots

Is this a well point? What's the diameter?

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 12:37am

by Mitchgo

Most well setups have have a submersed pump down below that pumps into either a large pressurized tank or a holding tank. Then a second pump is used for the irrigation system to pump out of the tank

If the pump was working good enough then maybe replace it and call it good?

Monday, June 13th 2011, 9:26am

by flipperscr83

Pump that goes 35feet

I recently purchased a house. When moved in, the system didn't work at all. My neighbor and I put a controller up, ran new wires to the valves/zones, put a pressure switch in, and everything was working great.

One morning I woke up and I heard the pump was still running and should have been turned off 30 minutes prior to me getting up. I went outside and saw that the PVC leaving the pump to go out to the valves was disconnected from the pump. Apparently it was never tightened from the old owner and it appears to have damaged the pump now. The pressure coming out of it is very light. We re-primed the pump ect and no dice. So, I need a new pump. Here is my scenario/question.

I live in FL, however, the pump is in a wooden shed outside.
The previous owner says that he sunk the well 35 feet.
The existing pump is a Flotec FP5162 which I believe is only rated to 20-25 feet down.

With the well being sunk 35 feet, I am having an issue with finding a pump that will go there, even a Gould's 3HP.

Any ideas on what pump I should get?

Thanks in advance.